Model H reproducer problem

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Model H reproducer problem

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

I have a model H reproducer that I use on my Edison home model A. The reproducer does not play very loudly and it tends to blast when I play loud records with it. I've rebuilt it with new gaskets and a new diaphragm and made sure the stylus bar link doesn't rub on the hole in the weight. I had that problem with one of my model c reproducers. There is nothing obviously wrong with the reproducer and I'm starting to think the stylus is bad. What do you think? Could a bad stylus cause these problems.

Thanks,
Stephen

WDC
Victor IV

Re: Model H reproducer problem

Post by WDC »

A bad stylus will normally not just cause some rattling. Instead, a damaged 4-minute stylus won't be able to track the groove properly and, in most cases, will cause an echo-ish effect. But I would completely rule it out.

A too tight retainer ring can certainly diminish the playback quality significantly. Also, check the hinge block and screw that holds the weight to it. If anything there in there is too loose it may cause a rattling effect.

Is is and original Model H (with a serial number) or a replica?

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Re: Model H reproducer problem

Post by Chuck »

The only way to know for sure the exact
condition of the stylus, is to look at it
under high magnification and bright light.

50 power will let you see a few things.
100 power is better.
400 power reveals all details.

Have a look at it using high magnification, then
you will know for sure what kind of shape the stylus
is in.

Chuck
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo