hi im a new owner of a victrola 210

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: hi im a new owner of a victrola 210

Post by Lucius1958 »

If you want to restore it properly, you should disassemble the motor, and clean the pieces individually. I have found that a product called KrudKutter is great for removing old oil & grease residues. Alternatively, you can use naphtha (lighter fluid): scrub the parts with a toothbrush, in either case, to clean off the old residue.

The mainsprings really ought to be cleaned and regreased for best performance; but that is a job for experienced restorers. If you aren't having problems with power loss or thumping, perhaps you can let it slide for now.

Bill

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Caratunk,

Put the WD-40 on the shelf and don't think about it anymore.

If the motor currently runs smoothly then leave the springs alone. Scrape or wire brush, (gently), the crud off the gears. Wipe them down with a little bit of paint thinner or denatured alcohol soaked into a rag to get the last bit of junk off of them, then throw the rag outside to prevent fires. Next, grease the gears, oil the bearings, and you're done.

-Don't overthink this.
-Don't look for miracle oils or motor dips.

caratunk
Victor Jr

Post by caratunk »

[quote="estott"]I've used WD40 to soak grease off of phonograph motor parts, but any petroleum distilate will do the job- gasoline or kerosene.

Regarding WD40 as a lubricant- it does work, but mostly in situations where there is gummed and hardened lubricant in place already. On its own it has a very slight amount of lubricant. The stuff has its place but it isn't a miracle.[/quote well in that case...wd40 would help clean up this motor ;];];]without harming it...and ill get some litium grease this wkend ;];];];] thank you;];];];]

caratunk
Victor Jr

Post by caratunk »

Lucius1958 wrote:If you want to restore it properly, you should disassemble the motor, and clean the pieces individually. I have found that a product called KrudKutter is great for removing old oil & grease residues. Alternatively, you can use naphtha (lighter fluid): scrub the parts with a toothbrush, in either case, to clean off the old residue.

The mainsprings really ought to be cleaned and regreased for best performance; but that is a job for experienced restorers. If you aren't having problems with power loss or thumping, perhaps you can let it slide for now.

Bill
thank you and yes i agree main springs are for the more experienced.and it does " thump" im NOT getting into that part.... tonight i just rummaged for some old containers aka cool whip bowls / sour cream containers.. to put parts in ..nothing has been touched . but i sat and took a magnifying glass to it and a "spotlite " for camping .. to get a better look...its scary and the gears are dry nothing "wet" or loose grease on this motor.its got alot of gunks of grease here and there and fibers all over the motor...im thinking it came from the turntable...i found bunches of it under the motor too and its not mice nestings..no poop or pee.. surprisingly...but its original not disturbed at all....in yrs .the turn table felting was wool..i took that off and replaced it with fresh felting 2 layers. with crafting tacky glue aerosol. it works great;];];]but im thinking the fibers are from the turntable.i think i will get krudcutter..we have it here at wlmrt. also i found a part of a pencil under the motor compartment..it says artist perfected graphite no#213..on the other side of it says...dixons americans artist SM=HB and it has no eraser . thought that was cool ;];];] maybe an artist had it;];];] id sure love to re trace its owners of the past;];] and all the places its been;];];]

caratunk
Victor Jr

Post by caratunk »

JerryVan wrote:Caratunk,

Put the WD-40 on the shelf and don't think about it anymore.

If the motor currently runs smoothly then leave the springs alone. Scrape or wire brush, (gently), the crud off the gears. Wipe them down with a little bit of paint thinner or denatured alcohol soaked into a rag to get the last bit of junk off of them, then throw the rag outside to prevent fires. Next, grease the gears, oil the bearings, and you're done.

-Don't overthink this.
-Don't look for miracle oils or motor dips.
i totally agree but the motor " thumps" im NOT getting into the springs ill send that to someone who can do it right. i did back wind it to take the power out of the springs..like the video on u tube. so im safe on that. thats what im planning to do clean the parts and re-grease them BUT NOT TOUCHING THAT CASING. i am planning on using krdcutter this wkend to clean it up.thank you jerry;];];] slow and steady wins the race ;];]