Victrola "buzzing" and "blasting" - what does this mean?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VictorVV-X
Victor II

Victrola "buzzing" and "blasting" - what does this mean?

Post by VictorVV-X »

Hello all, I am fairly new to phonographs. At present I have a Victor Victrola VV-X. I just bought a rebuilt No. 2 reproducer as the original was missing and the one that was on it was not sounding too good. Now, it sounds very nice and the sound is rich and I can discern the different instruments on the record.

While looking around the internet I have heard terms such as "Buzzing" and "Blasting' used when a reproducer is out of adjustment. I don't hear anything like that from the horn but I can almost swear that I have hear it from under the lid while the Victrola is playing.
Is this normal, and if not, how do I adjust the reproducer?

Thanks in advance.
VictorVV-X

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Victrola "buzzing" and "blasting" - what does this mean?

Post by OrthoFan »

The buzzing and blasting most people refer to comes out of the horn's mouth when the sound box is out of adjustment. When certain notes or tones are played, you'll hear a definite buzzing sound--often high pitched, as if the needle were loose in the socket.

It's normal to hear some chatter or noise coming from the soundbox's diaphragm, especially if you're using a loud tone needle. During the era of the Orthophonic Victrolas, a little disclaimer appeared on the inside of the lid, advising people to "close lid while playing." (On the British made re-entrant style gramophones of the period--which were based on the Orthophonic design--users were advised to "close lid whilst playing.")

HTH,
OrthoFan

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

OrthoFan wrote:The buzzing and blasting most people refer to comes out of the horn's mouth when the sound box is out of adjustment. When certain notes or tones are played, you'll hear a definite buzzing sound--often high pitched, as if the needle were loose in the socket.

It's normal to hear some chatter or noise coming from the soundbox's diaphragm, especially if you're using a loud tone needle. During the era of the Orthophonic Victrolas, a little disclaimer appeared on the inside of the lid, advising people to "close lid while playing." (On the British made re-entrant style gramophones of the period--which were based on the Orthophonic design--users were advised to "close lid whilst playing.")

HTH,
OrthoFan
For me blasting is also the distortion that happens when you play a record that is beyond the capacity of the soundbox and/or horn. When I play a 1940's Grace Moore record of Depuis le jour on my Credenza (which is is good order) it will blast on the loud passages. (if the same record is played on a friend;s EMG, it does not)

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

OrthoFan and estott, thank you for your replies. It has helped. I think that my Victrola is okay then.
Out of curiosity, to if I ever have to adjust a reproducer, how is it properly adjusted. I understand that one screw moves the stylus bar one way and the other screw the other way. Also, how tight do these screws have to be?

Thank you again.
VictorVV-X

Orthophonic
Victor I

Post by Orthophonic »

I adjust Exhibition and Number 2 sound boxes in the following manner: I remove the screw holding the needle bar to the diaphragm and this is assuming the gaskets are in good condition and not hardened. Loosen both screws that hold the needle bar under tension until it is almost loose. Alternately tighten one while loosening the other screw until the end of the needle bar barely touches the mica diaphragm so that if you lightly rub the needle in one direction you can hear it move the diaphragm and when you lightly rub it in the other direction, the bar will be barely pulled away from the diaphragm so that no sound will be heard. Sometimes one of the springs may have to be bent a little to get the end of the needle bar to barely touch the diaphragm. When this is done to your satisfaction, replace the screw that holds the diaphragm to the needle bar and melt a tiny drop of beeswax on it to both seal it and to keep the screw from working its way out. If the sound box rattles, tighten both needle bar spring tension screws both equally about an eighth of a turn each and re-test. The idea is to have the resting position of the needle bar just barely against the diaphragm when at rest so that the diaphragm is neither pulled or pushed when the sound box is at rest. The other part is that there should be only enough spring tension on the needle bar to hold it snugly in place as too much tension will make the needle bar hard for the record grooves to move it resulting in a loss of lower frequencies and increased record wear. Hope this helps!

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

Orthophonic wrote:I adjust Exhibition and Number 2 sound boxes in the following manner: I remove the screw holding the needle bar to the diaphragm and this is assuming the gaskets are in good condition and not hardened. Loosen both screws that hold the needle bar under tension until it is almost loose. Alternately tighten one while loosening the other screw until the end of the needle bar barely touches the mica diaphragm so that if you lightly rub the needle in one direction you can hear it move the diaphragm and when you lightly rub it in the other direction, the bar will be barely pulled away from the diaphragm so that no sound will be heard. Sometimes one of the springs may have to be bent a little to get the end of the needle bar to barely touch the diaphragm. When this is done to your satisfaction, replace the screw that holds the diaphragm to the needle bar and melt a tiny drop of beeswax on it to both seal it and to keep the screw from working its way out. If the sound box rattles, tighten both needle bar spring tension screws both equally about an eighth of a turn each and re-test. The idea is to have the resting position of the needle bar just barely against the diaphragm when at rest so that the diaphragm is neither pulled or pushed when the sound box is at rest. The other part is that there should be only enough spring tension on the needle bar to hold it snugly in place as too much tension will make the needle bar hard for the record grooves to move it resulting in a loss of lower frequencies and increased record wear. Hope this helps!
Orthophonic, thank you for the help.