Need help--Technics SL-D5

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Re: Need help--Technics SL-D5

Post by jboger »

Folks: Last I heard my daughter was in Dublin. She returns on the 23rd. Under the tree will now be a complete stereo system waiting for her. Just got at an auction 4 components: a Technics amplifier, equalizer, and tuner, as well as a Panasonic DVD changer. All for a grand total of $24.59 (yes, hammer price, commission, and tax). All components work, by golly. At a different auction, a brand new set of speakers cost me about $14. And the turntable was $17 at a different auction. All seems cheap to me, but in every case I had competition. I understand some people just throw the stuff out. However, at at the auction today (where I got th amp etc,) there was a Linn Sondex turntable that went for more than $600, so some people are willing to put money out for some items. So once again, thanks to various people who helped me understand what was required to build a system. Actually not difficult at all.

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Need help--Technics SL-D5

Post by Wolfe »

An old Linn Sondek LP12 can be very finicky regarding setup - adjusting the suspension and other stuff, so be glad you're not dealing with that. Nice 'tables when properly set up.