Victrola VV-IX A Questions: rust spots & needle well

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
DaveMo
Victor Jr

Victrola VV-IX A Questions: rust spots & needle well

Post by DaveMo »

Hello All:

To date, I've taken all the great advice offered on this board so the rehab of my machine goes well. I even went out and got a can of Minwax Paste Finishing Wax to treat the long-suffering wood surfaces!

Question: This machine was stored in very damp conditions, so there is some light rust on the metal parts. The tone arm's nickel surface is spotted with many tiny rust breakthroughs. Likewise the brake mechanism, although much more extreme. Some of the uncoated steel parts have light surface rust. Given that I intend to leave this machine in as original condition as possible, I'm hesitant to try messing with any of the metal surfaces other than just cleaning them. Is this a good approach? If not, any suggestions here on how to proceed? By the way, if this has been addressed elsewhere on the forum, pointing out the postings would be appreciated.

Second question: This machine features the usual needle storage block with three wells. Both end wells have rounded bottoms, so it's easy to remove needles. However that middle one with the flat bottom is almost useless as is. Was there ever some kind of insert for this middle well, one that I'm possibly missing? I'm thinking of cutting an appropriately-sized "hockey puck" out of ¾" wood and just dropping it in there with a loose fit, making the well a bit shallower if not with a rounded bottom.

As usual, your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave...

Victor VI

Re: Victrola VV-IX A Questions: rust spots & needle well

Post by 52089 »

There are many threads on the board for how to clean parts and remove rust, including a very recent thread on rust removal with multiple suggestions.

The middle of the needle holder should have a metal cup with a lid that has a relatively large hole. This is intended to be a convenient place to put used needles until they can be discarded. Originals and reproductions are available from all the usual suppliers. Some board members (including me) have these for sale as well. The metal finish should match the finish of the other parts, so for a IX you would need a nickel-plated cup and lid.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The type of rust you have described can be easily dealt with using 0000 (extra fine) steel wool sprayed with WD-40 or a good spray lubricant for guns. This will remove the small rust spots without damaging the nickel finish. The oil makes it less abrasive and helps to prevent further rust...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

DaveMo
Victor Jr

Post by DaveMo »

Hello 52089 and Curt:

Good to hear from you both. I'll have to scrounge up some of that super fine steel wool and do the job accordingly. Now as far as the needle holder, can you (52809) refer me to your web site if you have one? If not, please shoot me a private message as I'm interested in getting my paws on a acceptable reproduction.

Thanks!

Dave Mo...

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Here's what goes in the middle space. This one is kind of expensive, to my cheap thinking. Search for "Victrola needle cup"
Attachments
Capture.JPG

DaveMo
Victor Jr

Post by DaveMo »

Very good, Jerry. Now I at least know what it looks like! Thanks for the tip.

Dave ...