HOW do you listen?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: HOW do you listen?

Post by Valecnik »

There are many ways to listen but as several have already suggested, the best way is definitely alone, or with someone(s) equally attentive, (so that normally means alone) sitting or standing next to the machine (or the speakers on modern equipment) doing nothing but watching the record rotate. I find that even searching for the next selection distracts me from fully enjoying the selection that's up.

Schmaltz
Victor I
Personal Text: "Shut Your Eyes and See" (J. Joyce)

Post by Schmaltz »

Valecnik wrote:... sitting or standing next to the machine (or the speakers on modern equipment) doing nothing but watching the record rotate.
There _IS_ something about watching that label go around, isn't there?
Visit the virtual jukebox at The Old Schmaltz Archives.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Nat wrote:To me, there are two issues: I get a deep pleasure out of hearing the old records on a machine of similar age.

The other issue is one pointed out by John Steane in one of his wonderful books: in the days of 78's, you listened differently because each record was almost an "event". With CD's and readios, etc., it is easy just to have music running, a sort of aural wallpaper (I'm guilty too - this is NOT holier-than-thou!). When you have to wind, change records, change needles, I think you listen more carefully, and become more part of the music. So I guess I'm with Paal - I like to sit in a comfortable chair, and get lost in the record and the machine.
Nat
Well said, completely agree! :)