Victor Electrola XVII bulb socket

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
vichighmathguy
Victor O

Victor Electrola XVII bulb socket

Post by vichighmathguy »

Hello all,
I have had my Electrola XVII in storage for some time and have finally moved it to my house. In examining the light socket (with a view to getting it functioning), I find that it does not look like other sockets I have worked on. There is apparently no threaded tube which would normally be just inside the cardboard insulator sleeve. I may not be looking closely enough, but neither do I see evidence of it having broken off, perhaps when a previous owner unscrewed a bulb that may have become stuck. Would someone mind looking at my photo and verify that it is now missing the part I describe, or is this some kind of base I am not familiar with? While at it, I could ask if someone has a scan of what an original bulb would have looked like (rounded cylindrical glass or spherical glass with exhaust tip). If you know a source for such bulbs, then BONUS! If it turns out my innards are incomplete and you have a complete mechanism, then DOUBLE BONUS!!
Thanks for taking a look.
Don Mayer
Attachments
Electrola XVII socket.jpg

Phototone
Victor III

Re: Victor Electrola XVII bulb socket

Post by Phototone »

I believe you are missing a piece.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The part you are missing is a candelabra size brass piece with threads for the bulb. It was originally attached to the small tab on the left of the socket. If you are handy, this can be fixed with a modern part. It would need to be soldered to the tab after disassembling a modern socket to cannibalize the part. Once soldered to the electrical connection, you could epoxy it in place for stability...
Attachments
ElectrolaXVII_socket.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

This type of socket would be easy to use. Just remove the silver threaded portion and attach it to your existing base. Make sure to remove the center bottom piece that is connected to the gold colored lead, as you will be using the original center that is still in your base... If the tab on your base is threaded, you may be able to screw the silver screw into it without soldering.
Attachments
E12-75W-125V-Candelabra-Base-One-Piece-Keyless-Incandescent-Urea-Candelabra-Lamp-Socket.jpg
E12-75W-125V-Candelabra-Base-One-Piece-Keyless-Incandescent-Urea-Candelabra-Lamp-Socket.jpg (118.06 KiB) Viewed 889 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

vichighmathguy
Victor O

Post by vichighmathguy »

Thanks for your comments. It is helpful to know where the threaded socket was attached and I am sure I can cannibalize another socket for the part. I'll hold out for a brass part. There is actually an old light fixture business in town that may have a good matching part for this.
This gets me much closer to maybe one day "seeing the light".
Cheers,
Don