Brunswick Ultona

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dutchman
Victor IV

Brunswick Ultona

Post by dutchman »

This a photo of the Ultona off my recently bought Brunswick. What is the purpose of this screw and lock nut ? I believe the whole arm is supposed to slide back into the arm support bracket. The reproducer head rotates ok and plays Edison DD's and Lateral records ok, and the sliding weight functions ok. I was watching a video of an Ultona and noticed the whole shebang could slide back and forth, mine does not, I've been treating the joint/area with penetrating oil. Thanks

Bill K
Attachments
DSCN1259.JPG
DSCN1259.JPG (122.2 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

BiliBug
Victor Jr

Re: Brunswick Ultona

Post by BiliBug »

The nut holds a screw which sits in a groove on the underside of the front tonearm piece. It holds it straight, and prevents overextension when pulling out.

However, it is very important that the tonearm move, as it must be adjusted to provide proper weight and tracking when playing Edison DDs. I suggest removing the nut and screw and separating the two pieces of the tone arm. You can then relubricate them so they move freely, lightly sanding any corrosion on the inner piece if necessary.

-B
Brunswick Model 120, Victor Victrola VV-IV (Rev E), Victor Victrola VV-XIV (Rev B), Edison Standard A and B (2)

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Thanks BiliBug - was not sure if it keep things from moving, stopping, or what. Hope my
"PBBlaster" penetrating oil works. Bill K

BiliBug
Victor Jr

Post by BiliBug »

When I first got it, I found that my tonearm was pretty gunked up with whatever lubricant a former owner used. A word of warning, however. Most of these early tonearms are pot metal and have a tendency to shatter with force. Most are weakened because of a break near the pivot hinge stop. Be sure to take the proper precautions when working with it.

I wound up replacing my whole tonearm assembly with a brass one from a later machine. While not original, it allows me to use the phonograph without concern about the fragility of the original tonearm.
Brunswick Model 120, Victor Victrola VV-IV (Rev E), Victor Victrola VV-XIV (Rev B), Edison Standard A and B (2)

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

I hear you on being cautious with our friend pot metal. I have a feeling penetrating oil is not going to work. Wonder if an hour or two in the freezer would free it up. There is fear in my heart. :D

Bill K

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Well a moment of silence is requested for my Ultona. The front part of the reproducer arm shattered in six pieces despite taking it easy. Bill k

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Sorry, that’s a shame.
Last edited by Django on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BiliBug
Victor Jr

Post by BiliBug »

So sorry!!

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I have had several Ultonas including one now. It has always refused to pull outward on the arm to play edisons at the correct tracking. I have seen a few models where the arm would still work as intended, but none of the ones I purchased could be moved oil or no oil. And as said the pot metal also will easily break, especially toward the bottom where the little screw engages the short track to keep the arm in the correct play/off positions.

I am also noticing that the Ultona seems prone to a sort of harsh sound on some types of music. That may be age and my ears though.

Larry

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

larryh wrote:I have had several Ultonas including one now. It has always refused to pull outward on the arm to play edisons at the correct tracking. I have seen a few models where the arm would still work as intended, but none of the ones I purchased could be moved oil or no oil. And as said the pot metal also will easily break, especially toward the bottom where the little screw engages the short track to keep the arm in the correct play/off positions.

I am also noticing that the Ultona seems prone to a sort of harsh sound on some types of music. That may be age and my ears though.

Larry
Thanks Larryh. I agree the pot metal breaks easily, man that is some thin stuff. Have a good weekend. Bill K