Brunswick Seville (model 10-7) motor speed issue

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Brunswick Seville (model 10-7) motor speed issue

Post by CharliePhono »

I have zero experience with Brunswick motors, though realizing all motors are the same in principle, I cannot figure out how to repair/regulate the speed on this motor. With the speed control knob turned completely to the right (slowest speed), the machine continues to speed up and the regulator basically does nothing to change this. This began happening after playing the machine over 2-3 evenings. It seems the pad that contacts the governor is made of felt rather than leather. I'm wondering now if I should not have oiled it as I'm accustomed to doing with the leather pads? As I said, turning the speed control knob seems to have very little, if any, effect on the speed -- it seems to be getting increasingly faster on its own. What can I do to remedy this?

Outside of that, the motor is pristine and performs like a champ. I only had to do a light degreasing/cleaning and re-lube and it purrs like a sleeping kitten. Thanks in advance.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Brunswick Seville (model 10-7) motor speed issue

Post by Lucius1958 »

Have you watched the governor while the motor is running? Do the pads make contact with the disc?

There may be several explanations: the governor shaft might be so gummed up that it prevents the disc from moving out; or someone may have replaced the governor springs with something stronger and less flexible; or the governor bearings might be out of adjustment...

Bill

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Lucius1958 wrote:Have you watched the governor while the motor is running? Do the pads make contact with the disc?

There may be several explanations: the governor shaft might be so gummed up that it prevents the disc from moving out; or someone may have replaced the governor springs with something stronger and less flexible; or the governor bearings might be out of adjustment...

Bill
Hello, Bill, and thanks. I will be pulling the motor tomorrow and will observe closely for the things you mention. I do believe the pad was contacting the disc, and I distinctly recall lubricating the gov. shaft with a very light synthetic machine oil (very like sewing machine oil). I will also check the bearings and report back. It is unlikely (but still possible) that the gov. springs were replaced as this machine lived its whole life with one family. As well, after first servicing the motor, it played fine and held steady, although the speed control was always swung a bit to the right.

At any rate, thank you again, and I will check these things out and report back.

Charlie

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

Finally got the time to spend this afternoon with the Brunswick motor. Checked governor bearings; everything was good there. Governor weights and springs good and functioning as they should. Governor sleeve sliding as it ought. Then I discovered a nifty item which I'd not seen before on any machine: The governor pad is attached to a screw, the whole of which becomes adjustable by backing out a screw that holds the governor pad shaft tightly. I backed it out a bit, and through a process of some trial and error, was able to get the pad contact against the governor flywheel (not sure of the proper term) adjusted such that the speed is now accurate and the speed control functional. Again, I had never seen such an adjustment screw, but it's a very cool feature and glad it's there!

Again, as I had asked in my original post, does anyone know if the felt (as opposed leather) of the governor pad should be oiled? I did put some very light machine oil on it, but still wonder if it's at all necessary.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

A little oil on the disc or pad is recommended.

Bill