How Safe are Victor Electric Motors?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Skihawx
Victor III

Re: How Safe are Victor Electric Motors?

Post by Skihawx »

There is nothing in any Victor literature stating these were recommended for 32 volt farm systems.
I do not know of any Victor literature I would like to learn of any. It would make sense for a 32 volt
radio but a 32 volt farm victrola just for the motor sounds a bit odd.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Skihawx wrote:There is nothing in any Victor literature stating these were recommended for 32 volt farm systems.
I do not know of any Victor literature I would like to learn of any. It would make sense for a 32 volt
If I'm not mistaken, and I may very well be, I believe the instruction decal, near the resistor pack, gives instructions for various different connection options, depending on the available current source. I do believe that one such option is for connection to 32V DC. Hence, the "Universal" motor. Again, I may be mistaken as I don't have the decal right in front of me and it's been a while since I've read it.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Found this online, not the easiest to read though.
17212756_5.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

JerryVan wrote:
Skihawx wrote:There is nothing in any Victor literature stating these were recommended for 32 volt farm systems.
If I'm not mistaken, and I may very well be, I believe the instruction decal, near the resistor pack, gives instructions for various different connection options, depending on the available current source. I do believe that one such option is for connection to 32V DC. Hence, the "Universal" motor. Again, I may be mistaken as I don't have the decal right in front of me and it's been a while since I've read it.
Yup, I was mistaken. It says nothing about 32V. However, it does say the motor can run on DC, and we know that the resistor pack cuts the voltage to 32V. So, I think it's safe to assume that a direct 32VDC would be o.k. It's not like the resistors offer any added protection.
Attachments
scan0003.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

By the way, that's a high resolution scan above that you can print out to replace a damaged or missing one.

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

That sure is a big "BUT"...
"Do anything stupid and you're on your own, Bub."
:lol:

Update to my post:
Keep in mind Victor used (at least) two different type electric motors. The Universal type is AC or DC and uses the resistor bank as shown in the instructions and illustration. Victor also used an AC only Induction type motor which plugged directly into USA 110VAC 60 Hz mains without the use of resistors. I have a VE 8-30X with the Induction motor. Motor works great but does get warm after extended periods of use.
Last edited by Retrograde on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

These motors sure are scary looking huh :shock:. I brought home my first VE on Sunday and I really like it so far. I now feel confident that it won't burn my house down, but I'm not going to be doing any repairs soon either :lol:. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Greg

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Greg,
There is a great 4 part utube done by chilldude2007 under victor electric motor that takes you through a complete servicing of one of these motors. If you are concerned about yours it is a step by step process and I used it when redoing the motor on my Victor RE-45 and it works perfectly now.

Abe

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Here are two additional simple tips for rebuilding an electric motor.
1. I use clear heat shrink tubing over the original wiring sheath. Even if the original wire sheath is OK, it's a great way to protect it from future exposure. The heat shrink can also be slid over the wire and into the entry points of the motor saving you from having to dismantle the motor. The entry points usually have a rubber grommet so the wire will not short with the body of the motor, but this is also where the wire sheath is most likely to crack.

2. I always attach a ground (Earth) wire to the body of the motor. Just in case there is an electrical leak, this basically protects you from being electrocuted. If there is a fault, it will trip the mains residual circuit breaker. I use a local RCB protected power socket in my workshop. It's a bit more sensitive than the mains RCB so if it trips, it does not turn off all the power in the house.