Newbie, considering a Victrola XI

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II
Personal Text: VV-XVII, VV-XVI, VV-107, VV-IX's....

Re: Newbie, considering a Victrola XI

Post by SignatureSeriesOwner »

Sounds like the mainsprings are either broken, or sticking from the hardened grease in the barrels. The grease worked well when new, but after 85-100+ years, well, you know.
Saving America's Acoustical History, One Phonograph At A Time...

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Big Beat, for your reference, my XI-G with its two-spring motor will play about eight minutes on a full wind-up. I sent the motor out for a CLA about ten years ago (I've had it since 1980) and it made quite a difference in smooth running. I used these guys http://www.victrolarepairservice.com/index.html . They also rebuilt my Exhibition sound box. They should be able to bring your motor up to spec again.

BTW, nice job on the Brunswick---looks terrific!

Big Beat
Victor O

Post by Big Beat »

Some current pics of the Victrola. All cleaned up and functional, other than the spring issue as described above. $250 a fair price?
Attachments
Victrola14.jpg
Victrola12.jpg
Victrola11.jpg
Victrola10.jpg

Big Beat
Victor O

Post by Big Beat »

Well, the Victrola found a new home yesterday... The Brunswick is still available for sale, asking $350. Anyone interested? PM me!

Big Beat
Victor O

Post by Big Beat »

The Brunswick is now in Boston and I have just put it up on Boston Craigslist. Anyone here interested?

Big Beat
Victor O

Post by Big Beat »

SOLD!

Thank you all, this has been quite an odyssey... Both machines in this thread have now been restored, enjoyed for a while and passed on to new owners in far better shape than found. I am now down to just my original tabletop Victrola, which I've owned since 1995 - one small machine is all I can justify owning at this point. No more multiple floor models and long term projects for me for the forseeable future, though I'd like to own an open horn machine some day. But this was certainly fun for a while!