That old noisy motor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

That old noisy motor

Post by Victrolacollector »

Some of us appreciate a quiet running Victor machine? I have owned noisy machines and quiet motor machines. The quietest ones that I have owned was the Victrola VV -IX and VV 1-70. The noisiest is the early VV-IV, VV-XI and VV-XVI L Door.

What Victor machines do you own with the noisiest motor?

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: That old noisy motor

Post by GregVTLA »

My 1914 VV-X has a very loud motor (comparatively of course, any song drowns it out). I sorta like it just that way, it gives a very satisfying "click click" noise when winding, and gives more resistance than other motors. It also has a whirring noise when it's playing. I don't like the 20s motors as well, with the bubble pattern on the spring barrels. They're just too quiet and easy to wind. It dampens the experience IMO.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

My 1914 Victrola XIV reminds me of cranking up an engine: the ratcheting sound when winding and all that is part of it. The rising whirr of gears sounds like my brother catching another cog on his old John Deere lawnmower which has a chain-driven transmission. The crank used to kick back a la Model T Ford but I had to oil the ratchet and stop that mess.

I don't care for the noisy motors but it's not too loud when playing. Makes Red Seals a little annoying but the 3-spring motor can power through several 12-inchers so it's okay.

All part of the experience. Maybe a new governor gear or bull gear would help if you could find some replicas.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:My 1914 Victrola XIV reminds me of cranking up an engine: the ratcheting sound when winding and all that is part of it. The rising whirr of gears sounds like my brother catching another cog on his old John Deere lawnmower which has a chain-driven transmission. The crank used to kick back a la Model T Ford but I had to oil the ratchet and stop that mess.

I don't care for the noisy motors but it's not too loud when playing. Makes Red Seals a little annoying but the 3-spring motor can power through several 12-inchers so it's okay.

All part of the experience. Maybe a new governor gear or bull gear would help if you could find some replicas.
You know what solves a lot of noise issues? New thick felt or rubber washers on the motor mount screws. Then, just snug the screws. "Gorilla Tight" isn't necessary.

I've even been known to enlarge the holes so I can put a rubber sleeve on the screw where it goes through the motor board. Don't tell anyone. We don't need heart attacks.

You'd be surprised at how much the cabinet transfers and amplifies motor noise.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Outside of my E, I don't think I've ever noticed much in the way of motor noise on my few Victors.

Bill

recordnut
Victor Jr

Post by recordnut »

My Victor V with a "D" id tag and bevel drive motor is my noisiest Victor, even more so than my rigid arm E.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

My XIV is a noisy beast. I have tried everything to make her run more smoothly, all in vein. Once the record starts its hardly noticeable though. I've just learned to live with it.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

My noisy machines are my Vic MS rigid arm and my Pooley flat top VTLA. Both are fine once a record is playing, but lots of noise in those early motors. They do play nice an evenly though and hold a lot of power in the wound up springs.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

I am reminded of the old adage in the antique car world "when it stops making noise is the time to worry" It holds true for my 1930 Model A Ford......
:D