mineral spirits

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
caratunk
Victor Jr

mineral spirits

Post by caratunk »

hello all well i decided to watch u tube videos on engine cleaners and the safest and fastest FOR INDOOR USE {CAUSE I LIVE IN MAINE WITH NO WORKSHOP} WAS MINERIAL SPIRITS no odor!! klean strip product.... that i found at wlmrts;];];] i got the most of the motor broken down washed greased and put back together except for the casing..thats soaking now. {chunks of oil} anyways... i thought id try the spirits on the arm well it came out sparkling ;];];] so i tried it on my poor ½ dead abused neglected console {model 210} well i found actaul varnish!!! and i rubbed the wood til it literally squeaked.. and then took a old fluffy clean towel and buffed it.. i couldnt believe the differnce !!!! it actually shined where the original varnish survived!!! it didnt take off anything except the grime;];];];] after i buffed the whole thing i took a break and came back and touched it ..it squeaked !!!! its that clean again;];];] no smell no residue just gorgeous wood and varnish;];];] well whats survived anyways... the inside of the turntable...well lets just say your gonna need shades;];];];] i AM IN LOVE with mineral spirits;];];] so just thought id share my new discovery with you all.. which im sure most of you experienced victors would most likely know about ;];];];] and also.. try velvet to clean your records ..it actually gets into the grooves better and leaves a great shine too and mine plays wonderfully..;];];] no chem/ soaps /sprays nothing.. just velvet {k.i.s.} ;];];]

gsphonos
Victor II

Re: mineral spirits

Post by gsphonos »

I'm going to have to try that! Thanks!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

I have been using mineral spirits for 35 years to clean/de-grease motors and parts with outstanding success.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Nice to know. Thanks Bill K

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Just be careful when buying "mineral spirits" at the home centers...

There is stuff out there labelled as "mineral spirits" that seems to be constituted from Kerosene, and stinks to high heaven. And it is not as effective.

I think it was cheaper than the "good stuff".

If I can remember that brand, I will share it.

:monkey:
De Soto Frank

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

gsphonos wrote:I'm going to have to try that! Thanks!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA
Good luck to you Mike; here in California mineral spirits disappeared off of store shelves in January 2017. :( They now sell stuff labelled "Paint Thinner" but it isn't the same. You might be able to get unsold stock on ebay if it doesn't cross state lines. (This clean air stuff really interferes with my fun with oil based paint products.)

Martin

caratunk
Victor Jr

Post by caratunk »

martinola wrote:
gsphonos wrote:I'm going to have to try that! Thanks!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA
Good luck to you Mike; here in California mineral spirits disappeared off of store shelves in January 2017. :( They now sell stuff labelled "Paint Thinner" but it isn't the same. You might be able to get unsold stock on ebay if it doesn't cross state lines. (This clean air stuff really interferes with my fun with oil based paint products.)

Martin
the stuff i used brand name is klean stripper.. they also have u tube videos on it ;];];];] thats WHY i chose it;];];] i CANT HANDLE smelly stuff either ...and i have no choice but work inside my home with my cat;];];]

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Thanks Martin! I should have realized that. I still have a little stash of the "good stuff--" old mineral spirits. But, I have a limited supply! That is why I have a friend who knows someone in Arizona, and has him bring some to him when he goes to the APS Show and Sale in Buena Park, CA! I'll have to do the same!

Mike

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

That's good to hear Mike. I too have a supply of the old stuff that I was able to get in February. When I use it as a brush cleaner, I let the particulate settle out and re-use it as brush cleaner again, so I don't have to open up the new stuff very often. If I do run out again, I'll have to go down to the Paint Speakeasy.

(knock knock)

Who sent 'ya?

Joe.

What's the password?

Swordfish.

What's your pleasure?

Robin's Egg Blue Kitchen Enamel in semi-gloss.

Wait a second, Bub. We don't sell no Robin's Egg Blue in semi-gloss! Hit the road!!

(slam)

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

martinola wrote:That's good to hear Mike. I too have a supply of the old stuff that I was able to get in February. When I use it as a brush cleaner, I let the particulate settle out and re-use it as brush cleaner again, so I don't have to open up the new stuff very often. If I do run out again, I'll have to go down to the Paint Speakeasy.

(knock knock)

Who sent 'ya?

Joe.

What's the password?

Swordfish.

What's your pleasure?

Robin's Egg Blue Kitchen Enamel in semi-gloss.

Wait a second, Bub. We don't sell no Robin's Egg Blue in semi-gloss! Hit the road!!

(slam)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.