N56 Reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
callron
Victor O

N56 Reproducer

Post by callron »

I have a Home 'D' 2/4 combo with the N56 Reproducer.
It seems to plays both 2 and 4 min cylinders OK. Is this OK?

Victor VI

Re: N56 Reproducer

Post by 52089 »

The N56 reproducer is a fairly scarce reproducer. It was designed for use with the Amberola V and VI so that they could play wax Amberol records. That means it has a stylus intended for 4 minute records.

If I were you, I would sell the N56 and use the money towards a correct Model C and/or Model H reproducer, or perhaps swap yours for a C or H plus cash.

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Yes, it was intended for 4 minute records. The earlier N had a round weight--the same as a Model O. These heavier weights were said to damage the 4min wax cylinders, over time, so both the O and the N had the weight trimmed, and the N became the Model N-56, and factory returned O reproducers became Q's (the O was overstamped with "Q" if redone by the Edison factory). I enjoy the N reproducers. I know there are people who say that you should never play a 2 minute wax record with a 4 minute reproducer, but I have never ever had a problem using an H or a N on a 2 minute wax cylinder, in all my years of collecting. If you did decide to buy a C and an H, you would also need to get a reducer ring, as the C and H take the small reproducer carriage, and the N is the larger size carriage.

If I had some rare 2 minute cylinder, I would obviously use the correct reproducer for it, but in general, I have never had a problem playing both 2 and 4 minute cylinders with an H or N reproducer.

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

If I had a 4 min. reproducer, and wanted to play 2 min records, I would only play indestructible records, not wax. If you want to play your 2 min. and 4 min wax, I would get a reducer ring and a C or H reproducer. Otherwise, you would ruin your wax records.
Harvey Kravitz