The only Diamond Disc Phonograph in Norway?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Paal1994
Victor II

The only Diamond Disc Phonograph in Norway?

Post by Paal1994 »

A couple of weeks ago I received a Edison Diamond Disc Phonograph. An S-19 "Sheraton" to be specific. And I'm 99,9 % sure that this is the only DD phonograph in Norway.

Now this is one nice machine (except a leg that was broken after the customs repacked it. I haven't got to fix it yet, but I will.)The phonograph is 100% original, and the reproducer is rebuilt by Steve Medved. A great guy, and he did a fantastic job. The original diaphragm was kept for that warm Edison sound :)

And before we get to the pictures and video, I want to thank Bruce aka Valecnik. Without him, I would never had the chance to own a Diamond Disc Phonograph!
Thanks Bruce :D

Playing an acoustic DD and one of my favorites: "California, Here I Come" by the Atlantic Dance Orchestra
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2QpGnzEZ1M[/youtube]

Here is an electric DD by B.A. Rolfe: "Chiquita"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTY4bs4BO_g[/youtube]

And here playing a 78 by The Ambassadors: "Where'd You Get Those Eyes?"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWnrL2HRsbw[/youtube]

And now on to the pictures:
Attachments
Supported by books where the broken leg should be.
Supported by books where the broken leg should be.
Original grille cloth. Looks better in real life. Think it was the camera possition...
Original grille cloth. Looks better in real life. Think it was the camera possition...
Phonographs 066.JPG
All records came with the machine. Some really nice titles in there!
All records came with the machine. Some really nice titles in there!
Phonographs 068.JPG
Phonographs 069.JPG
Phonographs 070.JPG

JohnM
Victor V

Re: The only Diamond Disc Phonograph in Norway?

Post by JohnM »

Very nice, Paal! Hearty congratulations! That is so amazing -- to have the only one in Norway!
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

She is a beauty! My fumed oak S-19 has a broken leg as well...the previous owner repaired it and I've let it alone.

I presume yours is in golden oak (based on the photos?). Here's a fumed oak S-19 for comparison:

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Congrats on the Edison Paal! I can't imagine that they are very common in Norway so that may very well be the sole example. Edison didn't introduce them to England until after WW I and they had a very limited ...and late...introduction to Europe. They were sold in France, I understand.
I had an S19 years and YEARS ago and it's another of my " shoulda kept it" machines, so hold on to yours!

Jim

phonocookie
Victor I

Post by phonocookie »

You have one very nice S-19. To bad about the leg. I used to have one just like that. Glad your happy with yours. If you ever have the chance you should go see Bruce's collection. It is some thing to see and hear.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Paal,

The machine looks and sounds great. I was happy to help.

It's disappointing that they broke the leg but as long as you have the original piece, a professional should be able to make it look like new.

I bet you get a surprised comment from time to time on your youTube channel when the viewer realizes the videos are originating from Norway.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

The S-19 is a nice compact machine as far as Diamond Disc's go... and in golden oak it's especially beautiful.

It's hard to imagine having the only Diamond Disc in the entire country!

Well, enjoy it and share it! :-) Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and videos.

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

JohnM wrote:Very nice, Paal! Hearty congratulations! That is so amazing -- to have the only one in Norway!
Thanks John! It is a bit strange to think that it most likely is the only DD phono in Norway!
tarheeltinkerer wrote:She is a beauty! My fumed oak S-19 has a broken leg as well...the previous owner repaired it and I've let it alone.

I presume yours is in golden oak (based on the photos?). Here's a fumed oak S-19 for comparison:

Thanks! I'm going to hand it in to proffecionals, I'll bet you can't even see that it has been broken afterwards.
Yes, mine is golden oak. I like you fumed too. I generally prefer the oak phonos.
Lenoirstreetguy wrote:Congrats on the Edison Paal! I can't imagine that they are very common in Norway so that may very well be the sole example. Edison didn't introduce them to England until after WW I and they had a very limited ...and late...introduction to Europe. They were sold in France, I understand.
I had an S19 years and YEARS ago and it's another of my " shoulda kept it" machines, so hold on to yours!

Jim
Thanks Jim! I saw one in France and two for sale in the Netherlands, nothing else. So they are not common over here.
Don't worry, I'll hang on to this machine. I wouldn't part with it for anything!
phonocookie wrote:You have one very nice S-19. To bad about the leg. I used to have one just like that. Glad your happy with yours. If you ever have the chance you should go see Bruce's collection. It is some thing to see and hear.
Thanks! It is in very good condition. Although the pictures don't give justice, the gold wash on the reproducer is almost like new.
Valecnik wrote:Paal,

The machine looks and sounds great. I was happy to help.

It's disappointing that they broke the leg but as long as you have the original piece, a professional should be able to make it look like new.

I bet you get a surprised comment from time to time on your youTube channel when the viewer realizes the videos are originating from Norway.
Thanks again Bruce :D It's a great machine!
Strangely, as I remember, I've never gotten a single comment about it...
phonophan79 wrote:The S-19 is a nice compact machine as far as Diamond Disc's go... and in golden oak it's especially beautiful.

It's hard to imagine having the only Diamond Disc in the entire country!

Well, enjoy it and share it! :-) Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and videos.
It's a nice machine. If I ever get a Edisonic or a Dance, I'll bet it will sound even better.

It is pretty hard to imagine that it is the only one.

Paal.