Shaving Machine - Problem of Blade

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kraftwerknation63
Victor O

Shaving Machine - Problem of Blade

Post by kraftwerknation63 »

Hello Everybody,

Today i have found this Shaving machine. In France it is difficult to found. So i have buy it without hesitation.
I have completly dissasemble it, clean it, oiled it. But the problem is that, the machine don't shave very good!

It is this model:
24251998_10213785042033868_314742945_n.jpg
At the level of the blade there is that. For you is it correct?
24204929_10213785041753861_1313963927_n.jpg
24257505_10213785041153846_2006274504_n.jpg
When i have try to shave a 2min cylinder, it was very hazardous. The problem is that maybe the little steel plaque is not enough keep? Or i have seen that i can change a little the position of the blade. But it is very hazardous to.

What do you think about this?

Thanks.
French 20 years old Phonograph collector!

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Re: Shaving Machine - Problem of Blade

Post by Chuck »

Problem of blade is correct.

You need the type of shaver that has a small
sapphire cutter which travels across the surface
of the blank, driven by the feed screw.
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Hi kraftwerknation63!

You have a very collectable shaver for the post-1912 4 minute home recording blanks. The wax is quite a bit harder than the more common 2 minute brown wax blanks. I don't know how effective the 4 minute shaver was - it didn't last long.

You will need a shaver with the moving arm with the sapphire cutter. An Ediphone or Dictaphone shaver is a pretty good lower cost alternative. Here's a couple of shots of my Ediphone shaver:
SHVR_wide.jpg
SHVR_wide.jpg (319.11 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
SHVR_top_view.jpg
SHVR_top_view.jpg (291.41 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
The 4 minute shaver is rather hard to come by, so in a way you did very well. However you will find the other type way better for shaving.

Regards,
Martin

kraftwerknation63
Victor O

Chuck wrote:Problem of blade is correct.

You need the type of shaver that has a small
sapphire cutter which travels across the surface
of the blank, driven by the feed screw.
Ok Chuck! I see the model! I confess that i have not think a lot about this machine. Because in France it is very difficult to found. Thank you for your information Chuck! :)

kraftwerknation63
Victor O

martinola wrote:Hi kraftwerknation63!

You have a very collectable shaver for the post-1912 4 minute home recording blanks. The wax is quite a bit harder than the more common 2 minute brown wax blanks. I don't know how effective the 4 minute shaver was - it didn't last long.

You will need a shaver with the moving arm with the sapphire cutter. An Ediphone or Dictaphone shaver is a pretty good lower cost alternative. Here's a couple of shots of my Ediphone shaver:
SHVR_wide.jpg
SHVR_top_view.jpg
The 4 minute shaver is rather hard to come by, so in a way you did very well. However you will find the other type way better for shaving.

Regards,
Martin
Ok Martin! So if i understand this machine is useless on 2 minutes. But useful on 4 minutes. Maybe i can sell it without problem if it is scarce. Beautiful machine, very cheap in US, but impossible to found in Europe! :? Maybe i an have a classic shaving machine! :)

kraftwerknation63
Victor O

Regards,
Martin
Ok Martin! So if i understand this machine is useless on 2 minutes. But useful on 4 minutes. Maybe i can sell it without problem if it is scarce. Beautiful machine, very cheap in US, but impossible to found in Europe! :? Maybe i an have a classic shaving machine! :)

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

kraftwerknation63 wrote:if i understand this machine is useless on 2 minutes. But useful on 4 minutes. Maybe i can sell it without problem if it is scarce. Beautiful machine, very cheap in US, but impossible to found in Europe!
The shaving machine that you have is scarce everywhere. Definitely not 'very cheap in US' so I don't think you'll have any problem selling it in France, in the US or almost any place where there are collectors of Edison memorabilia. That particular Edison Shaving Machine that you have is surely not very useful for shaving cylinders appropriately today (and it was likely pretty awful at shaving a cylinder appropriately when new). But it is great for display. If you decide to sell it and price it right you'll have some collectors waiting in line for it. As mentioned by others, get yourself a conventional shaving machine with a good cutting stylus using the traversing method and you should be able to shave up a storm. :)

Doug

kraftwerknation63
Victor O

FellowCollector wrote:
kraftwerknation63 wrote:if i understand this machine is useless on 2 minutes. But useful on 4 minutes. Maybe i can sell it without problem if it is scarce. Beautiful machine, very cheap in US, but impossible to found in Europe!
The shaving machine that you have is scarce everywhere. Definitely not 'very cheap in US' so I don't think you'll have any problem selling it in France, in the US or almost any place where there are collectors of Edison memorabilia. That particular Edison Shaving Machine that you have is surely not very useful for shaving cylinders appropriately today (and it was likely pretty awful at shaving a cylinder appropriately when new). But it is great for display. If you decide to sell it and price it right you'll have some collectors waiting in line for it. As mentioned by others, get yourself a conventional shaving machine with a good cutting stylus using the traversing method and you should be able to shave up a storm. :)

Doug
Thank you a lot Doug! I have put a announce on Yankee Trader. Thanks again :) I hope that it can be useful for another person.
Amically

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

All this is kind of confusing to me. Why would this thing not work? Why would Edison put out a shaver that does not work? Why would a " softer material" not work. Did you sharpen the blade? I do not believe a 100 year old blade can be any good. Are you certain, you used it correctly? The way I see it there are so many variables to consider, speed, pressure, direction. What did happen to the cylinders?
Does anyone know how to really use this thing?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

SHVR_wide.jpg
SHVR_top_view.jpg

Regards,
Martin
Query: Did the Ediphone shavers use the same blade assembly as the earlier models? I have a hand cranked model that could use some parts there.

Bill