Atypical "A"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
schweg
Victor III

Atypical "A"

Post by schweg »

This Diamond disc phonograph languished on CL for over two weeks. I was surprised that it lasted that long, but after consulting with one of my trusted "A" experts (thanks again!), decided it was worth a look.

From Frow--The A-200 was introduced in 1912 but problems with record production delayed it's release for nearly a year. In Oct 1913 it received an upgrade with a 2-spring motor. The machine presented here is an early model with a one spring motor. Sales by Dec 1914 were 8725. Following the factory fire, the B-200 with standardized motor was introduced.

The ID information also indicates an early machine.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (85.59 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0779.JPG (43.2 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
An original grill, from an oak machine, is shown here.
IMG_0786.jpg
IMG_0786.jpg (59.38 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
For some unknown reason, perhaps two mischievous youngsters rough housing in the parlor, and an errant elbow, the original grill must have been damaged. This must've occurred in 1916 or so. To keep those boys from causing further damage, Father added a new lock to the record drawer at that time.
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0769.JPG (96.34 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0774.JPG (97.64 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
A replacement grill was ordered, since the family still enjoyed listening to the phonograph, but the A-200 was no longer in production so the next best thing would have to do.

The C-200 was introduced in Aug. 1915 but was not an outstanding success so to generate interest, more attractive grills were introduced the following year. On pg. 111 in Frow's book an illustration of a model C-200 in special finish with a "flattened urn" grill is shown.

Luckily, the flattened urn grill was the perfect replacement for the original, so it was happily received and allowed many more years of listening pleasure.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it..
a200big (2) - Copy.jpg
a200big (2) - Copy.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
IMG_0782 (1).JPG
IMG_0782 (1).JPG (92.1 KiB) Viewed 2115 times

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Re: Atypical "A"

Post by DGPros »

Best of luck with it. I do love the A series, the story also seems plausible.......and entertaining. :D
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Thanks! I had Thanksgiving dinner with family including 2 grandsons so the story was easy.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I can't speak to other members' experiences, but I don't believe I've ever seen a "flattened urn" grill in the flesh. I think it's an interesting design - Congratulations!

The story makes sense too...

George P.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Thanks George. The grill was really the only reason I decided to make the purchase. I asked Bruce what he thought, and he also had never seen one. I was happy to see that the urn paint shows it's age so I think it is original. Plus, it was not reallly too far away, down and back in an evening . Speaking of, it's only 23 hrs drive for you, so whenever you are in the neighborhood, the grill is available for viewing, so please stop in! Steve

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Quick comment to our less experienced collector brethren(which I still often feel like):

The reasons why I feel more experienced than I reall am:

First, the literature that is available is plentiful, buy some of it and your knowledge will grow exponentially. I knew the grill on this A-200, and my recently purchased A-400 were rare was due to having the right resources.

Second, there are members here who have vast knowledge and are willing to share it. I was recently at an auction in ks and saw a phono I recognized but couldn't place. I snapped a pic sent it to two members heee and within a few minutes had two answers that told me it was worth purchasing. This is definitely a great place to learn a bunch

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

I've been looking at these pictures on my phone, and i don't have the best eyes to start with,but is your muting device on the RIGHT side of the bedplate? Which variation is yours? I know the A series had a few. Thanks. Gary
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

On our A200, the mute control is a hook like device that one would pull upward to increase the volume. Located at the right front corner. It is serial number 7257.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

The oak A-200 I have is 8908 and also has the hook volume control. I've been told that the earlier serial numbered versions had no volume control so the urn machine was upgraded later. It does appear to have been pretty early since the wear on the horn support is evident and appears to be old.
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0805.JPG

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I recently got a C-200 and it does not have volume control Did they come standard or were they an accessory.?? Will any diamond disc 200 fit mine or do I need to look for a 200-C only. Thanks Tom