Just had to do it !!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: Just had to do it !!!

Post by FloridaClay »

I vaguely remember reading in some other post that someone had come across a paint remover that was gentle enough to leave the underlying original finish intact. Unfortunately I don't recall the details, but somebody else here may.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

ZipStrip leaves the original aniline stain, but kills paint. Kills the shellac too, so have a can of Bulls Eye handy.

Did this on a Vollema junkyard-special backpanel for my Victrola. It turned out fine at a great discount, so I think saving painted pieces is pretty fun.

BTW most 20-somethings and teenagers I see on the University campus think painting, repurposing, etc. these antiques is SICK! :D Chopping typewriter keys, scrapping pens for gold nibs, parting out restorable examples for profit, and all that stuff is considered by the younger generation to be a great faux pas.

There is yet hope.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:BTW most 20-somethings and teenagers I see on the University campus think painting, repurposing, etc. these antiques is SICK! :D Chopping typewriter keys, scrapping pens for gold nibs, parting out restorable examples for profit, and all that stuff is considered by the younger generation to be a great faux pas.

There is yet hope.
That is good news indeed!

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.