Just had to do it !!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Bill Cahill
Victor O
Personal Text: "Honey, did you warm the baby bottle on my 75 watt hi-fi again?"

Re: Just had to do it !!!

Post by Bill Cahill »

Dedrums wrote:There's an antique dealer around my way I usually visit every other weekend. For 2 years now this baby has been sitting in the corner collecting dust,but way to pricy at $200. I saw her today with a bunch of crap on it and crying for me to take her home.So my wife steps in and talks the owner down to $60 yea . So my question to you do I leave it green? I think it looks pretty cool. If you look close at the first pic under the tone arm on the wood is engraved "1988" wonder what that's about?
I believe that 1988 number is a manufacture's number for the company which made the cabinet. I wouldn't be so quick to shave it off.
Bill Cahill

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Retrograde wrote:If there was a jacked up baby blue Gem with gold fittings I'd be hearing how wonderfully creative and brilliant this machine is rather than how to refinish it back to original. Right?

:roll:
If this were well done, you might be hearing that. But I don't think that a beat-up, "antiqued" Victrola is in the same category as that Gem. That's just my opinion and taste is subjective, so I will leave it at that.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

1988 is the lot number. If you look on the bottoms of the doors or sometimes the end where the hinge is, and usually under the hinge for the lid, you'll find the same number. That way if cabinet parts got mixed up at the factory, they knew which machine they were fitted to. A lot of fitting on those cabinets, especially when you get into the more expensive machines. I've also seen CW stamped like that on doors for Circassian Walnut, and AW for American Walnut too. But not always and I don't know why that would have been. I haven't refinished that many walnut machines either and I'm sure others would know a lot more about that than I do. It may have only been done when they were using both woods in the factory at the same time.

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Either refinish it, or put a lava lamp on top of it and convert it into a groovy wet bar.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

I vote red white and blue - buy American :lol: :lol: :lol:

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

So, what is the verdict? Does it live on as a 60s retro statement, get restored to it's former glory, or become an exercise in creative refurbishing? Only the owner can make that decision.

New Yorker
Victor Jr

Post by New Yorker »

I vote to restore to its original, beautiful appearance. That's what I would do.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Restore - the correct way with the correct finish, materials, etc....

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Retrograde wrote:If there was a jacked up baby blue Gem with gold fittings I'd be hearing how wonderfully creative and brilliant this machine is rather than how to refinish it back to original. Right?

:roll:
Not from me you wouldn't.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Django wrote:In the late 60s and early 70s there were a lot of people using the "antiquing treatment" on all kinds of antiques, (basically a weathered paint look). It is ironic that it was often used to "antique" genuine antique or collectible items, thereby making them less authentic or collectible.

The number is probably just a manufacturing identification. I like the New Bedford dealer tag. Lots of history there.

Since you asked, my answer would be no, the green and door pulls have to go.
I lived through that when I was a kid--Mom went through her "antiquing" phase, and a lot of furniture in our house (although nothing you'd call an "antique") sprouted that ghastly, uh, barf green treatment. I remember the process involved first painting a piece uniformly with one shade of green and then streaking it with a darker shade while wearing flimsy plastic gloves that came in the kit. Ugh! I hated it then, and I hate it now. I hope this was just a case of an original finish damaged beyond repair and not destruction of a good original finish. Either way, nothing to be done now but strip it down and refinish.

Well, actually, I can think of one other thing, if you're feeling bold and adventurous: didn't Victor offer fancy painted "Chinoiserie" finishes and such? A Victrola X is hardly a rare, high-value machine, so maybe this awful finish is just license to have some fun with it and, say, commission an artist to repaint it into a unique decorative piece instead of worrying about bringing it back to "authentic." Or even do it yourself, if you have the artistic skill (I certainly don't).

In all events, a big tip of the hat to your wife for (a) her negotiating skills and (b) her willingness to get you a new toy!