Beautiful VV8-12 found locally

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
chadc880
Victor Jr

Re: Beautiful VV8-12 found locally

Post by chadc880 »

So I decided to dive into some of the restoration. I apologize. I did an update post a weeks ago but realized I should have continued this thread. So to the update.

I fixed the issue with running slow due to the governor needing cleaning. Eventually I will need to clean the springs. But they work good for now.
I fixed the auto cutoff brake which was missing a tiny spring. And it just happened to be with some small parts I found in a small bag in one of the doors. Yay
I am trying to find the tone arm bracket. Victor Repair Service emailed me today. He has a reproduction for $140.00 not sure what these go for.

The hinges is another headache. The guy on eBay did not have any of the size I need. I guess the ones on this model are larger in size. Plus I was hoping to find one with the sliders. But I was emailed by a member who has parts from a 812 that was in a flood. He wants to sell everything in bulk. And unfortunately all I can use from what he has is the hinges.

I carefully polished my manufactures tag and low and behold my serial # is 4650 not 1650. Not that it means anything different and the picture doesn't do the tag justice. But it looks awesome.

But my attention now points to the reproducer. Its amazing how this is the holy grail of these machines. I was watching a brass orthophonic on eBay today. I was determined to spend some serious money. That thing sold for $417.00 My goodness. I mean good grief. I was emailed by another restoration company suggesting worse case try and purchase a decent # 2 Reproducer.

So I am on the hunt for a good used or rebuilt reproducer. Now here is the funny part. The one that is on there now is indeed from a portable victor unit and it seemed not secured. It also seemed to have a material closing a gap between it and the tone arm. At first I thought it was plumbers putty. So I removed the reproducer tonight to see what I have.

Someone put tape that appeared very brittle and old and I mean old to cover the gap. And the diaphragm inside this reproducer is all bent out of shape and just bad condition. I tried straightening it out, the needle arm and reheating the needle arm to remelt the wax in place. Crazy enough it sounds better, So I can only image what the correct reproducer is going to sound like.

So thanks again for everyones input. I am going to post some pictures of the inside of the reproducer.
Attachments
IMG_5066.jpg
IMG_5064.jpg
IMG_5063.jpg
IMG_5062.jpg
IMG_5060.jpg
IMG_5058.jpg
IMG_5057.jpg

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

The tonearm bracket is available from Ron Sitko (see Links section of the board for contact info). Last I heard he asks about $75 for it. He can also install it for you or give you advice on how to do it - it's not just a slide off, slide on repair.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

chadc880 wrote:.... I was emailed by another restoration company suggesting worse case try and purchase a decent # 2 Reproducer...
That kind of puts you back to square one, since a #2 reproducer (sound box) won't fit the tonearm, unless you replace the back flange or washer. It's too small, as-is, to fit an Orthophonic tonearm. In addition, it does not offer Orthophonic reproduction, so you'd get no bass out of the horn.

A more affordable option might be to hunt down an Orthophonic sound box used on one of the Orthophonic portables. It's the same type used on the cabinet models with the exception of the front plate or mask, and for whatever reason, its pot metal casting normally does not succumb to the ravages of time-->
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (42.14 KiB) Viewed 965 times

I've seen these come up for time to time on sites such as eBay, etc.

There's an illustration of one that has been dismantled in this post, along with tips for rebuilding -- http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=3531

HTH,
OrthoFan

chadc880
Victor Jr

Post by chadc880 »

OrthoFan,

I took your suggestion and found one on eBay. It is in so so condition. The needle thumb screw was missing and I had to trim some material away from the gasket at the back to slide in enough to rotate in place. My biggest concern is the backplate that goes onto the arm, the rest of the reproducer rotates. Almost like there is suppose to be a pin, guide or set screw at the bottom. I put a small amount of glue for the meantime until I dig into it further. But for now it does sound better than what was there before. I only paid $54.34 shipped. But that beats $417 plus shipping that the orthophonic brass one I was following.

Here is a video link of me demonstrating the difference in sound between both. It has more depth and bass for sure.

https://youtu.be/TspTQqp6X9E

Now to the hinges. I finally figured out why I was having such an issue with finding the replacement hinge. The hinge that I found broken in the hardware bag did not go to the far left record storage door. It in fact went to the left speaker door. It appears that hinge broke at some point in time. The previous owner took the good hinge from the left record storage door and put it on the speaker door. The speaker doors have the fatter wider hinges. The record doors are not as wide. And the hinges I got from the guy on eBay, one of the was perfect wide enough, not long enough but the angle was correct and the first screw hole lined up. Bingo it works. Much better than having nothing.

Realistically the only thing needing attention now is the tone arm bracket. I think I found one, but it is pricey. I think $140.00
Attachments
IMG_5148.jpeg
IMG_5147.jpeg
IMG_5146.jpeg
IMG_5145.jpeg
IMG_5144.jpeg
IMG_5143.jpeg
Last edited by chadc880 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

chadc880 wrote:OrthoFan,
My biggest concern is the backplate that goes onto the arm, the rest of the reproducer rotates. Almost like there is suppose to be a pin, guide or set screw at the bottom.
There IS a small pin or protrusion at the bottom of the back plate where it fits into the hole at the bottom of the front plate, which you can see in this illustration:
Capture.JPG
Oftentimes, this breaks off.

Here's a dismantled Orthophonic sound box showing all the parts:
$_57.JPG
The back plate, itself, is installed so that the pin is postioned in the hole of the front plate. Then it is held in place by a retaining ring, as shown below.
Retaining Ring & Back Plate.JPG
Oftentimes, the retaining ring is stuck to the back plate. If the pin is missing, the whole back plate will turn.

Hope this helps.
OrthoFan
Last edited by OrthoFan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

chadc880 wrote:
Realistically the only thing needing attention now is the tone arm. I think I found one, but it is pricey. I think $140.00
I don’t think you need a tonearm, only the black back bracket. Ron Sitko sells those for around $75.

Andreas

chadc880
Victor Jr

Post by chadc880 »

alang wrote:
chadc880 wrote:
Realistically the only thing needing attention now is the tone arm. I think I found one, but it is pricey. I think $140.00
I don’t think you need a tonearm, only the black back bracket. Ron Sitko sells those for around $75.

Andreas
I forgot to put bracket. Tone Arm Bracket. Right now everyone is out of the bracket for the VV8-12