Beautiful VV8-12 found locally

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
chadc880
Victor Jr

Beautiful VV8-12 found locally

Post by chadc880 »

I have been wanting to get a Victrola for sometime since seeing one at a yard sale last year. Finally a few days ago someone in my neighborhood was selling this VV8-12.

So far I am trying to contain my excitement around my family and it is so much fun learning about this phonograph.

Someone did refinish it. There is a handful of decca christmas albums which fits the season. Tons of extra needles.

The serial # is 4650

Here is a short video of it playing. https://youtu.be/mM3OXAQp2wo

So far it appears the tone arm bracket was retrofitted with some bracket repair. Not sure if the reproducer is the correct one, but it works. The thumbscrew is missing, have a correct size allen head in its place. The left storage door bottom hinge is broke, have one ordered, And the little wood trim decorate in the middle by the front feet, the left side of it is missing. There is a tear in the speaker grill material and the two screws for the crank bracket are missing.

The only thing mechanical is well when I looked at it, it would not play or spin. The spring appeared to be wound full. After messing with the wind lever forward, I got the turntable spinning. But very slow. After messing with the governor adjustment and spinning the turntable up manually which changed the indicator to the middle it now starts and runs at the correct speed. Once in a while while playing the RCA Record its seems to take more "power"

I am sure the mechanics needs a major cleaning. I have not been into the motherboard or any of that stuff yet.

So what do y'll think ?
Attachments
IMG_4721.JPG
IMG_4703.JPG
IMG_4715.JPG
IMG_4719.jpg
23847302_10212813571767179_6333642666077913672_o.jpg
23799981_10212813571687177_632463789250229053_o.jpg
Last edited by chadc880 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Beautiful VV8-12 found locally

Post by estott »

Definitely not the correct reproducer- that is something from a cheap child's portable. Once you get the right one & fix up other issues you will have a fine machine

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

chadc880 wrote:...Not sure if the reproducer is the correct one, but it works. ...

So what do y'll think ?
It makes sound at this point, but it pales in comparison to what it could sound like with a good condition Orthophonic reproducer.

The 8-12 was next in line to the Credenza size and performance. SEE -- http://www.victor-victrola.com/8-12.htm

(Those I've heard did not sound "hollow" as some have reported, and mentioned in the above description. They were more along the lines of this one -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJsLY3dy-sM )

OrthoFan

chadc880
Victor Jr

Post by chadc880 »

Thank you for the responses. I need to do some research to see exactly which reproducer it was suppose to have. It does have sound and since this is my first Victrola, I have nothing to compare it to. I think it sounds pretty good.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

You'll get there. I like the original grill cloth! Very well preserved.

Needs an Orthophonic reproducer. For your bracket I'd send the arm off & have it repaired with a replica bracket.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

chadc880 wrote:Thank you for the responses. I need to do some research to see exactly which reproducer it was suppose to have. It does have sound and since this is my first Victrola, I have nothing to compare it to. I think it sounds pretty good.
Hi Chad:

The Victor-Victrola page is a good start to find information about the various models -- http://victor-victrola.com/

As for the correct reproducer, any Victor Orthophonic reproducer would fit the tonearm. Two basic types were manufactured -- brass and pot metal. (They're marked "Orthophonic" on the back.) The brass versions are relatively hard to find and normally cost upwards of $200-$300+++ today. The pot metal ones are common, and far less expensive, but many are damaged due to cracking and swelling inherent with the type of pot metal used at the time, so you have to take the time to hunt down a good one. (The Yankee Trader part of this site is a good place to post a wanted ad.)

FYI, here's what an Orthophonic reproducer looks like:

POT METAL VERSION:
Pot Metal Orthophonic Sound Box.JPG
Pot Metal Orthophonic Sound Box.JPG (60.47 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
BACK OF POT METAL VERSION:
Back of Pot Metal Orthophonic Reproducer.JPG
Back of Pot Metal Orthophonic Reproducer.JPG (61.33 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
ALL BRASS VERSION:
Brass Orthophonic Sound Box.JPG
Brass Orthophonic Sound Box.JPG (66.44 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
And, here's a little information about the Orthophonic Victrola model -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Or ... c_Victrola

HTH,
OrthoFan

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your first phonograph. My first phonograph, almost 35 years ago, was also an 8-12. I always regretted selling it years ago. I finally found another one about a year ago. It is a great machine. You will need to do some work on it. But, that is half the fun. You have received some good advice on the parts needed. Search for Ron Sitko in the "Links" section. He has the tone arm bracket available. The reproducer you have will work but won't produce the great sound as the correct Orthophonic one will. Don't hesitate to post more pictures when you get into working on it. There are some great members on this Forum to help.
Ken

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

For the missing crank bushing screws, you could do one of two things.
1. Plug the stripped out holes by gluing in wood plugs and put in new screws. (best method)
2. Bolt the crank bushing in place by putting screws through the cabinet with nuts on the inside.

By the way, the crank bushing is backwards as you have it shown.

Not sure if there's anything here you need, but just noticed it today: https://www.ebay.com/itm/victor-victrol ... SwhqhaGzyI

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:You'll get there. I like the original grill cloth! Very well preserved.

Needs an Orthophonic reproducer. For your bracket I'd send the arm off & have it repaired with a replica bracket.
The tone arm and soundbox should be an Antique Bronze to match the lid hardware- either the arm is a replacement or someone did a refinishing.

Bill Cahill
Victor O
Personal Text: "Honey, did you warm the baby bottle on my 75 watt hi-fi again?"

Post by Bill Cahill »

Cabinet hasn't been refinished. They stripped it down. It should be a glossy medium tone walnut finish.
Don't strip the inside of the lid. Decal is not replaceable, and, finish is still good. On the rest of the inside, remove all the hard ware, remove remaining finish, and, refinish that along with the rest of the outside.
It's a tough job, but, done properly, when finished, it will be beautiful.
Welcome to the forum, and, one of the most exciting forms of collecting, and, restoring.
Bill Cahill