Hope For The Future

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave D
Victor IV

Hope For The Future

Post by Dave D »

I retired from full time teaching, but still come back as a substitute. While walking around class today, I noticed a boy on his phone. I glanced down and recognized a wood horn Victor machine in the video he was watching. He was watching the You Tube channel of Music Box Boy.

I know this student from being in my class before before I retired and he knows I am into these things. We chatted a bit and he told me he wants to buy an outside horn Victor. He knows what they cost and that did not scare him off.

Maybe there is some hope for this hobby to carry on.
Dave D

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Hope For The Future

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I too see hope for the future. When I take my antique phonographs to school for a special lesson, there is interest. It is my hope that sometime during this season of the year I can get a young person started with the hobby.

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

I'm very glad to hear that. That's exactly the stuff I was always looking at when I was in high school too.

Stephen

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

He must be a good kid!

I've seen several people, usually younger, with a horned phonograph tattoo on their arm. Personally, I can't stand tattoos, (sorry), but I do find it interesting and even hopeful that they at least know such things exist, and even care to etch their bodies with the image of one for all eternity.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The media teacher at West Albany HS asked if I'd bring a machine to school to make a cylinder recording. He also is the band director and when I arrived the band was practicing Glen Miller's In The Mood. The band kids were enthusiastic about the Edison and asked if they could make a cylinder and we did. The media class was equally fascinated and we recorded the band teacher playing The Star Spangled Banner. I had a students announce both recordings in the style of a typical Edison two minute record. The recordings were quite good and the day was a total success.

Jerry Blais

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Jerry, that was a wonderful activity! Thanks for sharing it.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Dave D wrote:While walking around class today, I noticed a boy on his phone. I glanced down and recognized a wood horn Victor machine in the video he was watching. He was watching the You Tube channel of Music Box Boy.
That's my channel on YouTube, Dave (it's actually MusicBoxBoy). It sure is gratifying to hear that there are some younger people taking an interest in our hobby - even if only by watching some YouTube videos of old phonographs and records. :) Although watching videos on your phone at school might be frowned upon at certain times I bet. :o

Doug

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

FellowCollector wrote:
Dave D wrote:While walking around class today, I noticed a boy on his phone. I glanced down and recognized a wood horn Victor machine in the video he was watching. He was watching the You Tube channel of Music Box Boy.
That's my channel on YouTube, Dave (it's actually MusicBoxBoy). It sure is gratifying to hear that there are some younger people taking an interest in our hobby - even if only by watching some YouTube videos of old phonographs and records. :) Although watching videos on your phone at school might be frowned upon at certain times I bet. :o

Doug
I knew it was your channel and he was surprised to hear that I know you. Well, sort of. I know we have never met in person, but, we are certainly acquainted with each other!

I don't know which video it was for sure, but it was a wood horn Victor and he said he was listening to Billy Murray.
Dave

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Here's more hope for the future. I am currently repairing an Edison Standard B for the family of a 10 year old. It is his dream Christmas present. I sold them a Victrola VI earlier this year for this young man and he is now a bonafide phono-junky!