input on pricing a victor IV with wood horn??

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: input on pricing a victor IV with wood horn??

Post by Valecnik »

brianu wrote:hey adam,

I noticed phonophan's site... the vic IV with the brass bell horn for 2950. he's also got a vic III with oak speartip horn for 3950, and the last vic IV with mahogany speartip horn he had I think was listed for even more.

that V set-up of yours though is extremely nice. I actually missed one of those serpentine cabinets in mahogany about a year ago - was at an auction my father went to, then he left early, end of story. I can't imagine that the cabinet sold for much more than 100 bucks at this particular auction though, so bah.
Brian, Phonophan may be asking those prices and I know he gets good prices for his stuff but still, what's up with this?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

The horn alone should have brought that. For some reason what appear to be pretty nice Victors are just not bringing the bucks... Have all of us who want these already got them?

Walt, your V is gorgeous.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The fact that most US Ebay sellers are closing their auctions off to foreign bidders will not help their cause or their wallets!

I have seen countless machines on www.ebay.com that I would have snapped up at the price if the sellers would only post to the UK. And I'm a great believer that for most of us over here, it is not even worth considering buying a machine from the US, so that alone should tell you something.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Valecnik wrote:
brianu wrote:hey adam,

I noticed phonophan's site... the vic IV with the brass bell horn for 2950. he's also got a vic III with oak speartip horn for 3950, and the last vic IV with mahogany speartip horn he had I think was listed for even more.

that V set-up of yours though is extremely nice. I actually missed one of those serpentine cabinets in mahogany about a year ago - was at an auction my father went to, then he left early, end of story. I can't imagine that the cabinet sold for much more than 100 bucks at this particular auction though, so bah.
Brian, Phonophan may be asking those prices and I know he gets good prices for his stuff but still, what's up with this?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

The horn alone should have brought that. For some reason what appear to be pretty nice Victors are just not bringing the bucks... Have all of us who want these already got them?

Walt, your V is gorgeous.

I saw that III on ebay with the oak horn... that machine definitely is nice, but it's been relisted a couple of times at this point - I'm wondering whether the reserve might be set too high, if that may have deterred people from bidding it up any higher this round (although I don't typically bid on anything with a reserve unless the seller tells me what the reserve is... don't like the games otherwise... and I know people have different opinions on that as well)... and so far as the machines not bringing the bucks, I still think that it's mostly due to the economy in general (I think steve has posted about this a few times as well) - it's fairly bleak, dismal, etc. etc., particularly when it comes to sales regarding non-necessity material things such as old record players.