Correct horn for this Edison Triumph Model D

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Correct horn for this Edison Triumph Model D

Post by Valecnik »

MikeB wrote:Thanks, everyone, for the help.

I apologize for not being more specific when I posted the last photos. The photo showing the four screw holes is on the underside of the case, near the front. I assume that this is where the bracket and foot of a front-mounted crane would have been, presumably from when the machine was originally sold. Perhaps someone added a rear-mount later.

The machine runs great, on both 2 and 4-minute settings, and the bed plate is immaculate. It's my first Triumph, and a nice machine. Now the search begins for a proper crane and horn...

Thanks,
Mike
You can get a reproduction front mount crane for about $85 from Ron Sitko. Originals are very difficult to find. A nice Triumph 12 panel straight horn could be had for a couple hundred in nice condition. They turn up occaisonally at the shows but costly to ship. There was one on eBay not long ago. The cygnets will set you back quite a bit more.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

If the machine is a model D, it would have been shpped with the 12 panel Triumph horn. There should be no factory-drilled holes in the rear of the case for a cygnet crane socket. When Edison added the cygnet horn to the lineup, the Triumph became the D2. The 2 is stamped into the data plate.
I have a model D Triumph with the same carriage release that you show. I had never seen this style before either, but obviously it was used on the model D. I don't recall it being mentioned by Frow either.

Jim

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

Bob S. and Jim are spot-on with their comments. The D would have had a 12 panel front mount and the D2 an 11 panel Cygnet. Either would look nice on your machine, with the front-mount least cost - likely.

I have seen the slide-out lift-lever before, on an Idelia, essentially a Triumph as you know. I know nothing about their history, but perhaps it was an alternative for the Triumph style machines.

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Thanks very much for the information! I'll probably go for a straight horn and front-mount crane if I can find them, and I may leave the iron bracket on the back as a historical curiosity. Of course, if I find a bargain on a cygnet horn, that may change...

Thanks again,
Mike

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The Triumph straight horn you need is really large and expensive to ship. The cost of shipping could approach the cost of the purchase of the horn. I don't know where you are located but if you go to any of the large sales such as Wayne, Union, Orlando, or APS, I would suggest you advertise before any of the events and pick it up at the show. If you don't attend try to find a collector in your area to bring it back to you. I am mainly a collector but I do set up and sell at Union and APS in Los Angeles. I frequently have spare horns that I could sell but don't take them to shows because they take up so much table or booth space. These shows are places where pre-purchased items change hands. Good luck with your search.

I think the above suggestion is good for anyone that hopes to buy a large item at a sale. If you go to Union with hopes of buying a really nice Victrola in a specific wood or model, your choice of a possible purchase will be very limited. There are Victrolas for sale but not as many as you might think. At Union I share booth space with four or five other collectors. I'm not likely to fill my 20% of the booth with a nice Victrola. Uprights are simply too big. Just this week I sold a super nice oak VE-XVI in our Trader section. It will meet its new owner at Union next June. In addition to that machine I have taken numerous big machine like an Amberola I-A and I-B and a variety of big Victrolas to Union and every one was pre-sold.

Jerry Blais
Last edited by Jerry B. on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

MikeB wrote:Thanks very much for the information! I'll probably go for a straight horn and front-mount crane if I can find them, and I may leave the iron bracket on the back as a historical curiosity. Of course, if I find a bargain on a cygnet horn, that may change...

Thanks again,
Mike
When you've got a Triumph set up with an original straight Edison horn it looks impressive. People really notice, especially your wife! :lol:

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

If you are anywhere near Central Wisconsin, I have a nice Triumph horn available. Jerry is right.
Shipping would be expensive because of the size.
Ken Brekke

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

I'm in Southern California, and will be at the APS show down here.

The size shouldn't be an issue. I live in a condo and can always cut a hole in the wall. The neighbors are elderly and won't notice.

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

PM Sent
Horns rolled and straightened

RefSeries
Victor I

Post by RefSeries »

I got a good Triumph horn from a US dealer. Magnificent! Two issues - First the horn cost three times its cost to ship (I live in the UK) and second it was a lot larger than expected and generated a bit of flak from the Boss...

However it looks and sounds magnificent so if you get the chance go for it. Incidentally if you go for a cygnet make sure the crane is right for it. Cygnets have two mounts at the top (spring or screw) and the crane itself comes in a couple of different lengths, as I have found to my cost when trying to get the things to hang properly.

Good hunting

Keith