Aeolian EE

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
arthurmacie
Victor O

Aeolian EE

Post by arthurmacie »

Picked this up cheap - I think it is a Table Top Model EE because it has the Graduola. The tone arm is in great shape - no cracking. Motor works (I think it was replaced at some time due to extra holes in the mount), and plays well, and the Graduola works. Pictures attached, Any chance on tracking the serial number? Opinions and comments? Is that the original grill material?
Attachments
5.JPG
4.JPG
1.JPG
2.JPG

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Re: Aeolian EE

Post by briankeith »

Refinished ?

arthurmacie
Victor O

Post by arthurmacie »

This is as received, other than dusting it off. Judging from the finish on the motor board, I don't think anything was done.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

arthurmacie wrote:This is as received, other than dusting it off. Judging from the finish on the motor board, I don't think anything was done.
Most definitely refinished- the transfers were masked off as the original finish is still visible around them. The turntable cloth looks replaced- pool table cloth I think.

arthurmacie
Victor O

Post by arthurmacie »

Not much info out there about these. That being the case, does it have any antique value, or am I better off refinishing it as a curiosity for my own collection? It also looks like the crank position was changed when the motor was changed. Since it works, I rather not scrap out parts to Ebay. LOL
Attachments
IMG_0396.JPG

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Ordinarilly I'd say the value was lost, but this has the Graduola which does make it more interesting than the typical table machine. Perhaps worth keeping, or a good source of parts for someone with a damaged example

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

The tonearm, while it looks to be in very good condition, is not original to this model. At the time this was produced--circa early 1920s--Victor still held the patent on the tapered "goose neck" tonearm. The original tonearm would be this one --
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (69.22 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
-- or this one --
Capture2.JPG

(You can view other examples here -- https://www.google.com/search?q=Aeolian ... 48&bih=546 )

The tonearm installed on your model looks to date from the late 1920s.

HTH,
OrthoFan

arthurmacie
Victor O

Post by arthurmacie »

Hey thanks for all the info. Looks like, value wise, I'll just spiff it up and add it to the collection. Nice that it does work, otherwise would not have bought it. At least I got some records with it (including White Christmas, by Bing)

phonolamplighter
Victor I
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Post by phonolamplighter »

You have a nice cabinet, agreeably refinished to some degree.
As for the replaced motor and crank, those appear to be English styling. The brake mechanism is identical to many of our British made machines. The wood on the crank has the same tapered shape as those on our British/English motors as well.
With that said, maybe that lovely nickel tone arm is also foreign.
If it plays well, enjoy it for what it is.
Ed and Nancy

arthurmacie
Victor O

Post by arthurmacie »

You are right about the motor it is a "Junior" from England.

Where do you get all this info from? If it's in your head i'm impressed at the "Tribal Knowledge" you've attained.

Thanks Again