My Sonora Invincible Motor Examined

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

My Sonora Invincible Motor Examined

Post by audiophile102 »

I play records on my Sonora every day. The motor springs are over due for service so I pulled the motor out today to see what I'm up against. After careful examination, it became clear that I was WAY over my head. I will be asking Roger Merenkov for help. I decided to post some pictures of the motor, because it's a thing of beauty. Click on the pictures for a larger size. See any issues I need to have addressed? The initials WR is scratched into the frame. Interesting.
Composite .jpg
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: My Sonora Invincible Motor Examined

Post by CarlosV »

That's very interesting, it is a Swiss Paillard motor, one of the largest ever made. I have a variant of this model, installed on an English Bassanophone. Quite intimidating to tackle, you took the wise decision to assign it to a professional technician!

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Is this same motor installed on the Grand and/or Supreme models?

thanks,

Raphael

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Just curious, why do you feel, "The motor springs are over due for service..."?

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

JerryVan wrote:Just curious, why do you feel, "The motor springs are over due for service..."?
The springs were popping pretty hard. The record didn't skip, but I flinched each time. It may be the same motor across different Sonora models, but I don't know.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."