Which Reproducer and Crank are Correct for Columbia Type C

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Crank_it_up
Victor III

Which Reproducer and Crank are Correct for Columbia Type C

Post by Crank_it_up »

I have a Columbia Graphophone Type C, first style, and confused over which reproducer is correct for it. Howard Hazelcorn's book shows the machine on page 84 with a #7 D-2B, which is what mine has. In the description of the machine it says it should have a #2 Eagle reproducer. I also notice in the picture the crank is a curved cast type crank, similar to an Edison. Mine is nickel and straight. Anybody with a Type C please chime in.Thanks, Joe

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Which Reproducer and Crank are Correct for Columbia Type

Post by phonogfp »

The early C was originally supplied with the #2 Eagle type reproducer, but no doubt many were upgraded with a D-type reproducer when they became available in 1903.

The early crank is illustrated in the catalogs in two versions. Both have a pronounced offset, and are tough to find separate from a machine. I didn’t think either one was cast, but I could be wrong.

George P.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Thanks, George. I have seen the style crank you are referring to and that is what I'm more familiar with. Look at the one in the picture from the book. I am wanting to post a "Wanted" ad in the YT but want to ask for the right thing. So, if anyone has a picture of one I would appreciate seeing it. Thanks, Joe
Attachments
IMG_0985.JPG

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Here are pictures of the cranks on my 2 spring motor Model C's:

Cast style:
cast.jpg

Non cast style:
ncast.jpg
They both came with #2 style reproducers.

Chuck

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Thanks, Chuck. Tell us more about the first machine pictured. I'm not familiar with a fancy cased Type C, I would like to see more. The crank pictures are a big help.
Joe

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Crank_it_up wrote:Thanks, Chuck. Tell us more about the first machine pictured. I'm not familiar with a fancy cased Type C, I would like to see more. The crank pictures are a big help.
Joe

Joe,

Here is link to thread I posted back in April about that Model C:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 27#p179127

Chuck

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Chuck, that is a very impressive machine. Thanks for sharing.
Joe

5Orient5
Victor Jr

Post by 5Orient5 »

I too have an early Type C and need the correct crank. Although reprints of early Graphophone catalogs show the overall shape, there is no clue as to how the end inside the case was designed. Should I be looking for a hooked end crank that will fall off as the machine operates or one with a straight notch?

Since the discussion has broadened a bit to other aspects of these machines, I wonder if anyone knows how Type C serial numbers relate to production? Were the lowest and highest numbers listed in the Hazelcorn book given to the actual first and last machines assembled or were they simply the range of numbers assigned?

Thanks

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

5Orient5 wrote: Since the discussion has broadened a bit to other aspects of these machines, I wonder if anyone knows how Type C serial numbers relate to production? Were the lowest and highest numbers listed in the Hazelcorn book given to the actual first and last machines assembled or were they simply the range of numbers assigned?

Thanks
Unfortunately, the Type C serial numbering (at least at first) shares the same block as the Type A, so determining the C's production is impossible. There was an in-depth article on the Type C in the December 2015 issue of The Antique Phonograph.

George P.

5Orient5
Victor Jr

Post by 5Orient5 »

George,

As I joined APS only this year, I was unaware of the article you mention. I will be sure to find it. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Wm.