Wurlitzer winding phonograph?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tamuchick02
Victor Jr

Wurlitzer winding phonograph?

Post by tamuchick02 »

Has anyone ever heard of this? I just recently purchased one. It has no model number or anything. It is in a wooden cabinet and the horn is in the cabinet with a tiny amount of storage space (maybe 1-1.5" space). It winds up and spins, but it looks like it needs a new reproducer and the fabric over the horn is a bit worn out.

Is it possible that this is a fake? It certainly seems real enough, but I can find no information about Wurlitzer producing this type of machine.

HELP!

I can send pictures if that would help.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Wurlitzer winding phonograph?

Post by gramophoneshane »

Being in Australia, I dont know a lot about the Wurlitzer company, but I'm pretty sure they never "made" wind-up phonographs.
I have seen a couple people post pictures here of their Victor phonographs which include a "Wurlitzer" name tag, so I would say the company probably started out selling other companies machines with the Wurlitzer tag on them.
If I remember correctly, I think a one of our members (3Victrolas) as a Victor "Revere" with a Wurlitzer tag.

If you manage to take a picture or two of your machine, it would probably be very helpful in identifying your machine.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I hope Sharon wont mind, but I've copied her photo to post here. This is a 1926 model, so the tag would date from then or maybe up to a couple years later??
I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple different styles of Wurlitzer tags to this one too.

If you have the pictures of your machine in your computer, you can upload them directly to the board here, by using the "load Attachment" feature below the large box where you write/post a message.
Just click on "browse", find the file in your folders, click on the file, then click on the "Add the file" box before submitting your post.
Attachments
DealerTag001.jpg
DealerTag001.jpg (29.26 KiB) Viewed 2066 times

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

gramophoneshane wrote:This is a 1926 model, so the tag would date from then or maybe up to a couple years later??
You're right about the tag & the date. This Wurlitzer tag is simply a dealer tag, & my machine's factory label is dated Jan. 30, 1926.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

rather than force people to speculate, why don't you just post a few photos of your machine???

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Judging from the picture what she has is a Revere:
http://victor-victrola.com/14-1.htm where the record storage is a tiny space to the left of the turntable. What doesn't make sense is the statement about the cloth over the horn- the Revere has no horn covering or any visible horn at all- unless it had a dust scrim like on the bottom of a chair.

If it IS a Revere it should say that on the plate.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

The Revere is 3Victrolas machine & not the machine tamuchick02 was asking about. I just posted the picture to show the tag.
We're still waiting for pictures of the other machine to be posted.

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

Oops- my error, we'll wait and see. I've seen a couple of machines with Wurlitzer dealer plates, not all of them Victors.

tamuchick02
Victor Jr

Post by tamuchick02 »

Here are the pictures I have. There is no evidence of there every having been an additional tag (like in the photo below) below the Wurlitzer tag (no nail holes or discoloration). The Wurlitzer tag just simple says patent pending- there is no model or item number. There are no other markings on any other part of the piece.

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

Gee Dad, it's a Wurlitzer!

It seems that they sold a machine under their own name, it's entirely possible they built the case since they had the facilities. Unfortunately it looks as if the interior is in pieces, I can only see the motor.