Re-gilding a tonearm?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Re-gilding a tonearm?

Post by estott »

Yes, you're technically correct, but it's an economy of words- shorter and more direct than "re-plating a tonearm crook with gold". Everyone understood what I was getting at immediately.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

JohnM wrote:Re-plating and "re-gilding" are two entirely different things! 'Gilding' is the application of gold leaf (or any other metallic leaf) and it is adhered by an adhesive 'size'. You wouldn't want to 'gild' a tone arm! A picture frame or a sign, yes . . . but a phono part, no!
I did not know the names for this difference, thanks for the explanation.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

estott wrote:Yes, you're technically correct, but it's an economy of words- shorter and more direct than "re-plating a tonearm crook with gold". Everyone understood what I was getting at immediately.
Sorry! As a former sign maker, I am a little more sensitive to that distinction than most. I'm sure I come across as a word Nazi, and I suppose I am, but remember the words of Mark Twain:

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug."
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

This is understood, but gold electroplating does fall under the heading of Gilding which means to apply a fine later of gold to a surface, both chemical and electrical methods fall under the broad category. To be hair-splitting you should speak of your technique as water gilding, hand gilding, fire gilding (if such a technique is still done) or metalic leafing versus Plating.

End of my hairspliting babble.

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Wow! a new crook is the way to fix the problem. Very cool.

Estott, maybe if you buff the crook to a high polish and spray it with matte clear it would approximate the sheen somewhat. Just a thought.

Does anyone know how this satin plating was done? Was it shiny when new and now aged to this sheen, or did they rough it a little after plating?

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

So, in summary, but hook or by crook you will solve the problem?

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)