Waning interest in cylinder or disc machines and records?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Re: Waning interest in cylinder or disc machines and records

Post by Victrolacollector »

When I was younger I would never had cared for opera. But now, I can appreciate opera records. Why do I like them... I usually find that the condition of opera records are almost excellent. The operas sound life like and it’s like having a concert in your living room. The opera records can usually be had for a lot less money.

It is a great experience to have wine and a opera recording on the VV-XVI.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Records by the top opera singers were very expensive by today's standards, so they tended to be well looked after.

For me, the greatest pleasure of listening to singers of what is popularly known as "The Golden Age" is that the standard of singing is so much better than most of their modern counterparts.
I particularly dislike those singers who wobble on their top notes. The singers of 100 years ago hit the note and held it steadily.

I also dislike the current tendency to describe some celebrities (who shall remain nameless) as opera singers when they have never appeared in opera. They merely sing popular arias from popular operas, and in Caruso's day they would have been lucky to get a place in the chorus.

I am sorry if this sounds like a rant, but one of the few pleasures of old age is the ability to complain about declining standards and get away with it ;) .

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Victrolacollector wrote:When I was younger I would never had cared for opera. But now, I can appreciate opera records. Why do I like them... I usually find that the condition of opera records are almost excellent. The operas sound life like and it’s like having a concert in your living room. The opera records can usually be had for a lot less money.

I wish I had an appreciation of classical music the way that you do. I grew up hearing it played on the piano by my mother. My 78RPM record collection is all jazz. The Charleston Chasers produced my favorite records. My 80RPM collection is mostly produced by The Golden Gate Orchestra which sounds amazing played on my Edison A250. The price is much higher for jazz records which is why I wish I had your taste in the classics.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Victrolacollector
Victor V

audiophile102 wrote:
Victrolacollector wrote:When I was younger I would never had cared for opera. But now, I can appreciate opera records. Why do I like them... I usually find that the condition of opera records are almost excellent. The operas sound life like and it’s like having a concert in your living room. The opera records can usually be had for a lot less money.

I wish I had an appreciation of classical music the way that you do. I grew up hearing it played on the piano by my mother. My 78RPM record collection is all jazz. The Charleston Chasers produced my favorite records. My 80RPM collection is mostly produced by The Golden Gate Orchestra which sounds amazing played on my Edison A250. The price is much higher for jazz records which is why I wish I had your taste in the classics.
:lol: Yes, probably pay 1.00 for a record of Alma Gluck or Caruso compared to 30.00 and up for a jazz recording.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

There are plenty of collectors of classical / opera 78s that pay very dearly for certain records, including yours truly. Take a look at Larry Holdridge's annual record auction and see for yourself, some records sell for thousands...

Sean

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ Or Naucks.

Naucks has been auctioning off rare opera records from the collection of John Paul Getty Jr. that go for big bux. Into 4, even 5 figures.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

OrthoSean wrote:There are plenty of collectors of classical / opera 78s that pay very dearly for certain records, including yours truly. Take a look at Larry Holdridge's annual record auction and see for yourself, some records sell for thousands...

Sean
Wow!!!! I never knew that.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Wow lots to read here. Ha ha did you ever think the reason those classical records are in such good shape is because they were often not liked or appreciated or played. ha ha I often play new ones once and then put them away. Not my cup of tea most times. Now if it's old I like it! Now to the idea of a presentation. I recently gave a bundle of papers to my local medicare office hoping to have a presentation. I gave references and lots of paper that I pass around I sent them an email too with photos of some of my many machines and I was so happy I finally got off my butt to do this. But today I received an email and this is just a sign of the times. Most folks in my area medicare office are not English speakers. Now that is truly a sign of the times. No one would know what I was saying. I am extremely disappointed. English is not understood in my Chicago neighborhood any longer. I have lived to long. ha ha

Victrolacollector
Victor V

[quote="vansteem78"]Wow lots to read here. Ha ha did you ever think the reason those classical records are in such good shape is because they were often not liked or appreciated or played. ha ha I often play new ones once and then put them away. Not my cup of tea most times. Now if it's old I like it! Now to the idea of a presentation. I recently gave a bundle of papers to my local medicare office hoping to have a presentation. I gave references and lots of paper that I pass around I sent them an email too with photos of some of my many machines and I was so happy I finally got off my butt to do this. But today I received an email and this is just a sign of the times. Most folks in my area medicare office are not English speakers. Now that is truly a sign of the times. No one would know what I was saying. I am extremely disappointed. English is not understood in my Chicago neighborhood any longer. I have lived to long. ha ha[/quote

I find that Italian opera is beautiful music but honestly can’t understand the words unless you know Italian. The same applies to German opera singers etc. For some reason I appreciate the high notes these singers can reach. The operas and classical music never seem to become outdated.

If I see a red seal opera or classical type recordings, I get excited. I will take everyone that comes my way that is clean and in good shape. I love them like no other. Caruso, Gluck, McCormack, Richard Jose, Marion Talley. I don’t mind duplicates either.
Well I guess I have made my point.