The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Waning interest in cylinder or disc machines and records
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:27 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:23 am
Posts: 2387
Location: NW Indiana B-19;VV-IV; VV-VI;VV-XVI; Edison Home B; Amberola 30; Col. BK; Magnola;
When I was younger I would never had cared for opera. But now, I can appreciate opera records. Why do I like them... I usually find that the condition of opera records are almost excellent. The operas sound life like and it’s like having a concert in your living room. The opera records can usually be had for a lot less money.

It is a great experience to have wine and a opera recording on the VV-XVI.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Waning interest in cylinder or disc machines and records
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm 
Offline
Victor V
His epigrams are all his own, the man's an epigramophone!
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 2486
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.
Records by the top opera singers were very expensive by today's standards, so they tended to be well looked after.

For me, the greatest pleasure of listening to singers of what is popularly known as "The Golden Age" is that the standard of singing is so much better than most of their modern counterparts.
I particularly dislike those singers who wobble on their top notes. The singers of 100 years ago hit the note and held it steadily.

I also dislike the current tendency to describe some celebrities (who shall remain nameless) as opera singers when they have never appeared in opera. They merely sing popular arias from popular operas, and in Caruso's day they would have been lucky to get a place in the chorus.

I am sorry if this sounds like a rant, but one of the few pleasures of old age is the ability to complain about declining standards and get away with it ;) .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Waning interest in cylinder or disc machines and records
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 12:50 pm
Posts: 632
Location: Brookfield, Illinois
Victrolacollector wrote:
When I was younger I would never had cared for opera. But now, I can appreciate opera records. Why do I like them... I usually find that the condition of opera records are almost excellent. The operas sound life like and it’s like having a concert in your living room. The opera records can usually be had for a lot less money.

It is a great experience to have wine and a opera recording on the VV-XVI.


I wish I had an appreciation of classical music the way that you do. I grew up hearing it played on the piano by my mother. My 78RPM record collection is all jazz. The Charleston Chasers produced my favorite records. My 80RPM collection is mostly produced by The Golden Gate Orchestra which sounds amazing played on my Edison A250. The price is much higher for jazz records which is why I wish I had your taste in the classics.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Waning interest in cylinder or disc machines and records
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:30 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:23 am
Posts: 2387
Location: NW Indiana B-19;VV-IV; VV-VI;VV-XVI; Edison Home B; Amberola 30; Col. BK; Magnola;
audiophile102 wrote:
Victrolacollector wrote:
When I was younger I would never had cared for opera. But now, I can appreciate opera records. Why do I like them... I usually find that the condition of opera records are almost excellent. The operas sound life like and it’s like having a concert in your living room. The opera records can usually be had for a lot less money.

It is a great experience to have wine and a opera recording on the VV-XVI.


I wish I had an appreciation of classical music the way that you do. I grew up hearing it played on the piano by my mother. My 78RPM record collection is all jazz. The Charleston Chasers produced my favorite records. My 80RPM collection is mostly produced by The Golden Gate Orchestra which sounds amazing played on my Edison A250. The price is much higher for jazz records which is why I wish I had your taste in the classics.


:lol: Yes, probably pay 1.00 for a record of Alma Gluck or Caruso compared to 30.00 and up for a jazz recording.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Waning interest in cylinder or disc machines and records
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:33 pm
Posts: 2705
Location: Near NY's Capital
There are plenty of collectors of classical / opera 78s that pay very dearly for certain records, including yours truly. Take a look at Larry Holdridge's annual record auction and see for yourself, some records sell for thousands...

Sean


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Waning interest in cylinder or disc machines and records
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:52 pm
Posts: 2270
^ Or Naucks.

Naucks has been auctioning off rare opera records from the collection of John Paul Getty Jr. that go for big bux. Into 4, even 5 figures.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Waning interest in cylinder or disc machines and records
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:23 am
Posts: 2387
Location: NW Indiana B-19;VV-IV; VV-VI;VV-XVI; Edison Home B; Amberola 30; Col. BK; Magnola;
OrthoSean wrote:
There are plenty of collectors of classical / opera 78s that pay very dearly for certain records, including yours truly. Take a look at Larry Holdridge's annual record auction and see for yourself, some records sell for thousands...

Sean


Wow!!!! I never knew that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Waning interest in cylinder or disc machines and records
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:46 pm 
Offline
Victor I
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:50 pm
Posts: 180
Wow lots to read here. Ha ha did you ever think the reason those classical records are in such good shape is because they were often not liked or appreciated or played. ha ha I often play new ones once and then put them away. Not my cup of tea most times. Now if it's old I like it! Now to the idea of a presentation. I recently gave a bundle of papers to my local medicare office hoping to have a presentation. I gave references and lots of paper that I pass around I sent them an email too with photos of some of my many machines and I was so happy I finally got off my butt to do this. But today I received an email and this is just a sign of the times. Most folks in my area medicare office are not English speakers. Now that is truly a sign of the times. No one would know what I was saying. I am extremely disappointed. English is not understood in my Chicago neighborhood any longer. I have lived to long. ha ha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Waning interest in cylinder or disc machines and records
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:03 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:23 am
Posts: 2387
Location: NW Indiana B-19;VV-IV; VV-VI;VV-XVI; Edison Home B; Amberola 30; Col. BK; Magnola;
[quote="vansteem78"]Wow lots to read here. Ha ha did you ever think the reason those classical records are in such good shape is because they were often not liked or appreciated or played. ha ha I often play new ones once and then put them away. Not my cup of tea most times. Now if it's old I like it! Now to the idea of a presentation. I recently gave a bundle of papers to my local medicare office hoping to have a presentation. I gave references and lots of paper that I pass around I sent them an email too with photos of some of my many machines and I was so happy I finally got off my butt to do this. But today I received an email and this is just a sign of the times. Most folks in my area medicare office are not English speakers. Now that is truly a sign of the times. No one would know what I was saying. I am extremely disappointed. English is not understood in my Chicago neighborhood any longer. I have lived to long. ha ha[/quote

I find that Italian opera is beautiful music but honestly can’t understand the words unless you know Italian. The same applies to German opera singers etc. For some reason I appreciate the high notes these singers can reach. The operas and classical music never seem to become outdated.

If I see a red seal opera or classical type recordings, I get excited. I will take everyone that comes my way that is clean and in good shape. I love them like no other. Caruso, Gluck, McCormack, Richard Jose, Marion Talley. I don’t mind duplicates either.
Well I guess I have made my point.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 52089, Baidu [Spider], inericks and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.