Just Purchased Edison Opera Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor O

Just Purchased Edison Opera Phonograph

Post by 7309 »

OK people, I am going to put myself out on a limb here and ask for your opinions (good or bad) as to whether I did OK or not. I have never paid this much for any of my phonographs and I have Edison, Columbia, Victor, and lots of off brands but I have never owned an Edison Opera and have always wanted one. This one came from Ebay and I was the top bidder. I went to PA., and picked it up today. It just cost too much to trust to the Post Office to ship. I took some pictures which I will post here and will try to answer any questions you might have.
I can tell you that there is no horn or elbow included. There was no crank, and one of the small wooden pillers on the front of the case is missing. Also, the reproducer is frozen in the arm but it doesn't appear to be damaged. I have no idea what the little round piece with the screwdriver is. It feels like plastic. I have not cleaned or tried to do anything with it yet. However, I can say that I like it. It is a Type SM, Model A, Serial: 1481. Well, have at it. I hope I did OK but I'm not sure. Thanks for your comments, whatever they may be. Oh, I almost forgot, I paid $2,736.00 for it.
Attachments
Opera12.JPG
Opera12.JPG (120.68 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Opera11.JPG
Opera11.JPG (134.5 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Opera10.JPG
Opera10.JPG (74.03 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Opera9.JPG
Opera9.JPG (106.8 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Opera6.JPG
Opera6.JPG (124.73 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Opera5.JPG
Opera5.JPG (109.76 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Opera3.JPG
Opera3.JPG (122.75 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Opera2.JPG
Opera2.JPG (118.05 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Opera1.JPG
Opera1.JPG (123.54 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Just Purchased Edison Opera Phonograph

Post by soundgen »

Great buy you'll never regret it , now to find the rest !

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

You did OK and you'll have a good time restoring it. Nice that you got the record brush; they are almost always missing. I don't see the auto-shutoff bar, but repros are available. I haven't seen one of these with a stuck reproducer before. I'm sure you know to loosen the thumbscrew to get it out. Maybe some heat from a hair dryer will help.

Good luck with it. Be sure to post more pics as you work on it, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Victor O

Post by 7309 »

Yes, the screw to loosen the reproducer works fine but the unit is really stuck. I don't want to damage it. I will try some heat and see what happens. I haven't even wiped the dust off of it yet and just carrying it in the house turned my hands black. It's really filthy. I was very happy when I saw the little screwdriver in the case. Thanks for the comment.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy your oak Opera. I have a couple of mahogany Operas and they're wonderful playing phonographs. The reproducer looks like it might a model L which is harder to find than the diamond model A. If it is a model L and the stylus is fine then you'll be able to play 4 minute wax Amberols as well as Blue Amberols. Finding an original oak Opera corner column might be a challenge. And matching a reproduction column will be a challenge to match color with the rest of the cabinet but it can be done. Since, unfortunately, the missing column is in the front, what I might do if this were mine is carefully remove a rear column and install in the front. Then try to locate an original first and if that fails and you settle for a reproduction column then a slight color mismatch will be less obvious in the rear. I would remove the set screw for the reproducer and get some oil in that hole. The reproducer will come out but be cautious. Keep us posted when you make some progress!

Doug

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Be sure to take the record off the mandrel before you try to get the reproducer off. This will also give you a little more rotation room. Also be cautious of the lift lever/paddle mechanism on the stanchion at the back of the reproducer. The "hook" on the reproducer that the paddle lifts and lowers is pretty delicate.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Kevin's helpful advice above on carefully removing the reproducer is spot on. One other gentle suggestion I would add would be to note that there should be a tiny lock pin at the 12 o'clock position on the reproducer so the first tiny bit of pull on the reproducer should be straight out before beginning any rotational movement so you don't injure that tiny lock pin on the reproducer. Try putting a small amount of oil around the opening as well as inside the screw hole. Good luck! ;)

Doug

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

Sweet machine! Congratulations.

Victor O

Post by 7309 »

Do you know if anyone currently makes a reproduction column for an oak Opera? That would be my easiest option if an original can't be found. I can see that they are attached with a screw from the inside so I will be able to put an original from the back on the front as suggested and put a reproduction column on the back. If no one makes a reproduction, then I will have to make one myself. That might prove to be an interesting project :)
I put oil on the reproducer and I'll let it set for a while and see if it loosens up. If not, I'll try a little heat. I did see the little pin on top of the reproducer so will make sure it comes straight out without twisting it until the pin is in the open.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

This fellow can make you a corner column. I'd suggest you remove one from your machine. He'll make an exact replacement that you can finish to match. Jerry Blais

Gramp's Treasures Contact Information

Tom Rutkowski (Gramps)

Make checks payable to Tom Rutkowski

Telephone Fax
810-359-2376 810-359-2430
Postal address
3405 Lakeshore, Lexington, MI 48450
Electronic mail
grillmr@gmail.com