Re: VV-XVI Simple Question Please

Post by Silvertone »

5356AGP is 5 13/64" long.

pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Post by pellicano1 »

Silvertone wrote:5356AGP is 5 13/64" long.
Thanks! Thats an odd measurement!! Hoping George Vollema comes through for me!
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

pellicano1 wrote:
Silvertone wrote:5356AGP is 5 13/64" long.
BTW Where did you get the measurement from?
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

JerryVan wrote:Knowing the part number doesn't help a thing. I might have 50 of them, but I would have no clue, since the number isn't marked on the part and I have no way of knowing what a "5356AGP" looks like, and nobody else does either, (well maybe a couple of you guys do...).

If you need another one, take a photo of the one you've got, along with some critical dimensions, and post it in the classified section of this forum as a "WANTED". Or, barring that, straighten the one you've got. It's not that hard to do.

By the way, if yours is only bent, just measure how long it is and buy either the 5-⅜" or the 5-½" one you have located!
How do you straighten? Just hammer it down? lol. Obviously not touching the threads and protecting them while doing so. Sorry never heard of straightening these.
Thomas A. Edison

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

George is a wonderful resource in addition to just being a great guy. He is very knowledgable and I'm sure that he will be able to help you. Not only does he have an incredible inventory of phonograph parts, he is very organized and can actually locate the part in his several buildings. I can't even keep track of my paltry assortment of parts stored in a half-dozen boxes. Someday he will retire, and I don't know what we will all do then.

The information I gave you is from Victor's parts list. As was mentioned, having the part number has absolutely no value unless you find a stock of NOS parts in their original packaging, because that is the only way you will actually see the part number.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

pellicano1 wrote:
JerryVan wrote:Knowing the part number doesn't help a thing. I might have 50 of them, but I would have no clue, since the number isn't marked on the part and I have no way of knowing what a "5356AGP" looks like, and nobody else does either, (well maybe a couple of you guys do...).

If you need another one, take a photo of the one you've got, along with some critical dimensions, and post it in the classified section of this forum as a "WANTED". Or, barring that, straighten the one you've got. It's not that hard to do.

By the way, if yours is only bent, just measure how long it is and buy either the 5-⅜" or the 5-½" one you have located!
How do you straighten? Just hammer it down? lol. Obviously not touching the threads and protecting them while doing so. Sorry never heard of straightening these.
The very best way is spin it in a metal lathe and measure the wobble with a dial indicator, then bend it straight with a rawhide mallet or brass hammer while it's still in the lathe. I realize you don't have a metal lathe. If you have a drill press you can mount the spindle shaft in the chuck and just visually check the wobble, then tap with the mallet/brass hammer until it runs straight & true. If even that doesn't help, you can put it back in the motor and rotate it, noting what side of the shaft leans out the most, then mark it. Using wood to protect the shaft, clamp it in a vise, then use the mallet/brass hammer to hit the shaft where you have marked it. Put it back in the motor and test it to see if you've done any good. Trial & error will get you there.

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

JerryVan wrote:
pellicano1 wrote:

The very best way is spin it in a metal lathe and measure the wobble with a dial indicator, then bend it straight with a rawhide mallet or brass hammer while it's still in the lathe. I realize you don't have a metal lathe. If you have a drill press you can mount the spindle shaft in the chuck and just visually check the wobble, then tap with the mallet/brass hammer until it runs straight & true. If even that doesn't help, you can put it back in the motor and rotate it, noting what side of the shaft leans out the most, then mark it. Using wood to protect the shaft, clamp it in a vise, then use the mallet/brass hammer to hit the shaft where you have marked it. Put it back in the motor and test it to see if you've done any good. Trial & error will get you there.
I was able to find a match! Ordered and coming today! Thanks for the info. Will save for future issues!
Thomas A. Edison

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

The spindle will vary according so the model and production year.

Attached are the specs for that part number from the Victor “Numerical Arrangement of Repair Parts”

Notice that the length and the position of the spot for the governor gear are critical measurements.

Mark
Attachments
647927FE-8D10-454D-A7A6-316E12115AAA.jpeg

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

MarkELynch wrote:The spindle will vary according so the model and production year.

Attached are the specs for that part number from the Victor “Numerical Arrangement of Repair Parts”

Notice that the length and the position of the spot for the governor gear are critical measurements.

Mark
Great info! Thanks! I ordered the spindle, installed, adjusted the governor several times, and got her running great! Thanks again!!
Here she is in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtNx9Crl0qk
Thomas A. Edison