Is this Brunswick mahogany or walnut:

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: Is this Brunswick mahogany or walnut:

Post by brianu »

Here are a couple shots of the one I used to own in case they may be of use.
Attachments
7AF129DE-8C97-4A9A-946A-FADDABE46CF6.jpeg
05540F66-470D-4CF3-8B9F-6B73DB72C6C9.jpeg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Thanks a lot BrianU...

Here's the UPDATE--Jerry's "Fire Wood" joke isn't far from the truth if you are a discerning buyer. Poly finish, no decal, other issues in addition to the two broken legs. I also now know why collectors hate consoles. 2 albums missing and I don't know what's going on in one of the cabinets...looks like a radio could have been installed or something? Messed up the storage and isn't very pretty.

So of course I went and picked it up!

In the cabinet we found the starting crank for the motor and a huge collection of records. They were wrapped in very old yellowing paper, stuffed far to the back--Isham Jones, George Olsen, Jesse Crawford at the Wurlitzer, Nat Shilkret, obscure hotel dance bands on Brunswick Electric, Billy Murray, Ernest Hare, Moran and Mack, and, of course, the usual red Columbias and other late recordings proving it was used until the fifties and beyond. Man, I've never found this many IMMACULATE 1920s Jazz and Foxtrot, etc. records in one place. Especially not at $25 with a peach of a project thrown in... It's all propped up on scrap lumber in the corner and looking really cool. I think it will be a keeper after repairs.

Next Spring I plan to rebuild the machine. Thanks for following--tune in for the next installment!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Okay. I can't resist. What do I use to make it more original...

Green or brown felt?
Can a single-diaphragm ultona play Diamond Discs, with the right stylus and the counterweight pushed back?
What is in the right side record compartment? Is it set up to hold a radio? Mine might be.
That's it for now...

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Radiolas were often found in Brunswick machines before RCA and Victor became a couple...
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Okay. I can't resist. What do I use to make it more original...

Green or brown felt?
Can a single-diaphragm ultona play Diamond Discs, with the right stylus and the counterweight pushed back?
What is in the right side record compartment? Is it set up to hold a radio? Mine might be.
That's it for now...
I have one in my bone yard with green felt.

The single-diaphragm Ultona cannot play Diamond Discs. The pointed Edison stylus must ride perpendicular to the groove, and the single Ultona cannot be adjusted to do that.

Best of luck with this project. Brunswicks are nice machines! :)

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

I "restored" mine a long time ago and no longer have it, but I seem to recall that mine had a green velvet mat. Could that have been possible? Boy, I wish I had taken pictures. Whatever it was, I had despaired of finding something similar, so I glued on a piece of felt over it. I'm sure this machine will end up being a much better restoration than my first effort.

Martin

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Serial number: 159878.
Functioning Status: "Aunt Hagar's Blues" wasn't coming out of the AC. (Sounds "old" but a Brunswick Electric Record can really put it out--"Hey Lawdy Mama" with Count Basie. Great Scott--Can't wait to hear that all rebuilt. It's really mellow for a mica-diaphragm machine with cone horn.

And Here's the plan.

Next semester, I'm doing a ground up, full museum restoration on this thing, worth it or not. Then, I'm keeping it and playing my vertical records on it.

By the bye, anyone know what year it was made?