Is this Brunswick mahogany or walnut:

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Is this Brunswick mahogany or walnut:

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Found a Brunswick "YO" or York Console locally and don't know what wood it is? Red? Brown mahogany? Or is it possibly walnut...
Attachments
Brunswick wreck.jpg

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Is this Brunswick mahogany or walnut:

Post by HisMastersVoice »

It's Mahogany. Walnut has a more uneven grain.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

agreed... I actually used to have one of those, it was a good reliable player, although the lid stubbornly refused to remain up all the time (had the same problem with my old Schubert).

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

What type of wood? Fire...

I'm sorry, I'm just teasing you. Yes, it's mahogany, as Brandon stated. Should be nice when done. Lucky that the grill is in good condition!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

:? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by VanEpsFan1914 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

If the grill & the Ultona head are intact it's a good haul. I can always bore out the back legs & use dowels & glue. Actually it looks like it broke when someone moved it full of records...hope there's still a load of awesome discs on board!

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

My very first restoration (circa 1976), was one of those. Its finish was originally "Brown Mahogany". I bought a stain that said "Mahogany" and it turned out VERY red. This was where I learned to look at the color and not the name of the stain. :roll: Nice machine! I think you'll like it.

Martin

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It looks like a good deal then...I am supposed to go pick it up Friday afternoon!

The owners said they haven't examined it in forever but it has the crank motor still intact, along with the old tonearm--hasn't been rehabbed or modernized. This thing is truly virgin. Even the finish isn't that awful. A shot of Howards and it'll be easily the shiniest phonograph I own!

I'm also looking forward to having the extra space to set my cylinder phonograph on, and a working volume control. Hope I can make it over there & pick up the machine, this will be a hoot. Also fixing to add a little green Edison Standard to the collection. That compact, perky spinner of wax has been growing on me...

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:If the grill & the Ultona head are intact it's a good haul. I can always bore out the back legs & use dowels & glue. Actually it looks like it broke when someone moved it full of records...hope there's still a load of awesome discs on board!

Instead of wood dowels, consider using steel pins and glue with epoxy. I've done that on some chair repairs and it's worked out really well. Maybe rough up the steel pins to give the epoxy something grip on.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:It looks like a good deal then...I am supposed to go pick it up Friday afternoon!

The owners said they haven't examined it in forever but it has the crank motor still intact, along with the old tonearm--hasn't been rehabbed or modernized. This thing is truly virgin. Even the finish isn't that awful. A shot of Howards and it'll be easily the shiniest phonograph I own!

I'm also looking forward to having the extra space to set my cylinder phonograph on, and a working volume control. Hope I can make it over there & pick up the machine, this will be a hoot. Also fixing to add a little green Edison Standard to the collection. That compact, perky spinner of wax has been growing on me...
So glad someone is going to rescue this. It's been listed for a while. The Brunswick motors are really nice. Super quiet and well built. Good luck with your restoration. Hope it's full of good records.