Edison B-250 in Amberola Cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

Re: Edison B-250 in Amberola Cabinet

Post by tomb »

in reading Flows Diamond Disc book It alludes to Edison either using all his stock up or using ones designated for one machine , if in excess, to convert to another machine. It also would not be unusual for the Edison factory to use another cabinet if they were temporally out of stock to fill orders. They were not selling as many cylinders as they used to and were converting over to the more profitable diamond disc. Edison seemed to use or reuse everything to make a buck. In one hundred years machines also may get damaged and repaired leaving holes and pieces missing. Who has the time machine to go back and check?? That would solve the problem. Tom B

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

I just got back from a trip to TAE's Winter Estate, Fort Meyers, FL.

In the guest house was a Diamond Disc mechanism, re-housed into a second style Amberola 1-A cabinet.
Under the lid was an Amberola decal, and on top of the lid was a dedication tag, which I couldn't read because of the angle.
The cylinder hump was re-glued to the lower portion of the cabinet, and the original crank hole was skillfully plugged.

I'm wondering if TAE was showing off his new Diamond Discs to his visitors?

Cheers, Bob S.
Attachments
20171221_113803.jpg
20171221_113311.jpg
20171221_113405.jpg

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Does it look like the hump on the original post was glued in and fell out. It looks like a bare spot on the wood but it could be a reflection ??? Tom

Zwebie
Victor IV

Post by Zwebie »

Does it look like the hump on the original post was glued in and fell out. It looks like a bare spot on the wood but it could be a reflection ??? Tom
The hump in the original post is still attached to the lid, as it would have been originally on an Amberola 1-A.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Bob, that looks to my eyes as it was fitted with an "A-Type" DD mechanism, can you confirm?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Zwebie
Victor IV

Post by Zwebie »

Bob, that looks to my eyes as it was fitted with an "A-Type" DD mechanism, can you confirm?
I would say yes, maroon painted bedplate and gold hardware. The odd thing was that the reproducer and horn elbow were nickle, and the horn was painted black like later machines.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Zwebie wrote:
I would say yes, maroon painted bedplate and gold hardware. The odd thing was that the reproducer and horn elbow were nickle, and the horn was painted black like later machines.
Thank you.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Finally found this thread. The other day, while at the Edison-Ford winter estate, I spotted one. Oddly, it has a nickel reproducer- possibly an error on the museum's part? This one was placed in Ford's home. It's important to also note that the sign said all furnishings were non-original, but close to what they would have been.
Attachments
2289.jpg
2288.jpg
2287.jpg