Edison B-250 in Amberola Cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Edison B-250 in Amberola Cabinet

Post by JerryVan »

Since there is no sign of an Amberola lid decal, it suggests to me, that all of this conversion was done at the factory, prior to the application of decals and prior to the finish being applied to the cabinet. The plugs where the crank hole was previously located are also under the finish, further suggesting that the work was done at the factory, prior to finishing.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

There also doesn't seem to be any wear on the cylinder drawer bottoms. Which essentially blows the theory of originally purchased as an Amberola out the window. No? Side note, I see one of the 3 brackets (front right crank side)had been altered (cut back) to fit in the cabinet over the louvres. I also took some pictures of the inside with no brackets. It looks as though some of the wood broke away when the hole was drilled for the crank leading to them packing it out.
Attachments
Drawer bottom
Drawer bottom
Cut bracket side
Cut bracket side
Left side single bracket
Left side single bracket
Packed out? Right side, crank side
Packed out? Right side, crank side
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

JerryVan wrote:Since there is no sign of an Amberola lid decal, it suggests to me, that all of this conversion was done at the factory, prior to the application of decals and prior to the finish being applied to the cabinet. The plugs where the crank hole was previously located are also under the finish, further suggesting that the work was done at the factory, prior to finishing.
I'm with Jerry. Especially after seeing photos of that lid. It would be a shame (and expensive) to destroy what may well be a unique B 250 to make an Amberola out of it.

Congratulations - that's a very interesting machine. :)

George P.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

I finally figured out how the drawers come out
The first drawer (top) has a metal dowel on either back end. Those need to be twisted out as to clear the outer frame or remove completely, all other drawers have 2 screws and an L plate that you can now reach in and unscrew with the top drawer removed. I did find a cuban cigar wrapper (though I can't date it) :? and pieces to a 4 minute knickerbocker?63 339? cylinder and a piece of Edison cylinder wrapper. There are some smaller bits and pieces I need to rummage through but these were the biggest and most noticeable as it was getting dark. I don't know if any of this is helpful but it would lead me to believe this DID house an Amberola unit at one time :D I'm probably done for the night,may need to hear a berceuse :roll: before bed.

ps yes there is something very unique and neat about this machine that I wonder about changing it, its beginning to feel like the island of misfit toys over here. :roll:
Attachments
metal dowel pulls out top drawer
metal dowel pulls out top drawer
L bracket and 2 screws bottom 3 drawers
L bracket and 2 screws bottom 3 drawers
cigar wrapper and 4m  63missing339
cigar wrapper and 4m 63missing339
knicker"bocker"
knicker"bocker"
Bercuese de (lullaby of)339
Bercuese de (lullaby of)339
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Wow - the cylinder pieces and partial cylinder label surprise me. Those wouldn't have gotten into the machine at the factory. If this was ever in a collector's possession, might cylinder records have been stored in it?

The only other possible (however unlikely) explanation that occurs to me is that the machine was used as an Amberola 1A (the 1B was introduced after these early Pooley cabinets had been used, and would have required a Model L Reproducer tom play 4-minute wax)), then factory - converted to Diamond Disc. The data plate screams either factory or fake. The machine's current condition argues against fake.

I enjoy a mystery. Thanks for posting this, and I hope you're feeling better soon. :)

George P.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

I am feeling a bit better thanks. These purchases are the really fun ones. I had passed if over quite a few times due to the newer standard mech. It was only after I really started looking at the pictures and saw some things that didn't make sense, that I figured, what the hell, what's another machine. :lol: The person I had purchased it from had dated it from 1880-90 and really didn't know much, if anything about the machine. He had purchased it because the motor ran and he thought he may fix it up someday. His loss is my gain I guess.

One more oddity I noticed was the wood surrounding the bed plate is one full piece. Both my A-250's are a two piece. The wood is scooped out for each bracket and it's a little chewed up around the lid lift.
Attachments
Carved out for each bracket on bottom
Carved out for each bracket on bottom
One piece bed plate border
One piece bed plate border
Frederic Bastiat

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

I really think that this was originally an Amberola A1, and was “converted” to a Diamond Disc at some point. The “conversion” areas such as the filled holes and such simply appear too crudely performed to have been accomplished at the factory.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Hailey wrote:I really think that this was originally an Amberola A1, and was “converted” to a Diamond Disc at some point. The “conversion” areas such as the filled holes and such simply appear too crudely performed to have been accomplished at the factory.
I absolutely agree with this. The ID plate, although, suggests this began its life at the Edison factory as an Amberola 1B.

The modifications to this cabinet appear crude and almost amateur and the additional stamping on the ID plate appears to be larger than the "B 1" - compare the two number 5's on the plate. The "5" for the model appears larger than the serial plate "5". It's all very interesting but very little of these modifications suggest Edison factory modifications in my opinion.

Finding the bits of Edison wax Amberol cylinder inside the cabinet reinforce the suggestion that this was indeed an Amberola originally and was changed over to an Edison Diamond Disc phonograph after it left the factory. The missing Amberola lid decal and 'Edison' script decal is strange indeed but most of the other modification seems non-factory. My thoughts.

Doug

Doug

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

The Amberola lid decal could have easily been melted away with a number of solutions.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Also the picture of the ID plate under magnification (clicking the picture twice) you can see that the number "2" is different in the serial number compared with the added "2" in the model number. The bottom of the "2" is flat in the serial number whereas the bottom of the added "2" in the model number is almost serpentine (not straight).