Edison B-250 in Amberola Cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison B-250 in Amberola Cabinet

Post by phonogfp »

One thing's for sure - the early Pooley Amberola cabinets never carried an "Edison" script decal in their lids. If that decal is original, it's another argument for a factory job.

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

I love stuff like this! It's like the machine is telling us its story. I'll be interested in seeing anything else you find.

Martin

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:One thing's for sure - the early Pooley Amberola cabinets never carried an "Edison" script decal in their lids. If that decal is original, it's another argument for a factory job.

George P.
Hiya fellas,

In regard to this being a "factory job", I'd have to wonder how a cabinet of this vintage would have survived the great fire in December, 1914, when so little else had not been destroyed.

Happy Holidays!

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Here's todays theory. It was originally purchased as an amberola in 1910-11. The owner decided around 1918 or so to "upgrade" to a DD machine. Since it was an early cabinet, maybe the easiest and least expensive and confusing option at the time was to mark it as such. Anyone know off hand when the C version reproducer was being sold? The lid is still quite the conundrum though.It sure does seem to be an original lid so there was no swapping out there I believe. The last thing i need is another DD upright, but i just HAD to get this one. :roll:

I still have no clue on how to take the drawers out. There's a metal dowel that runs above the wooden groove.It stops the drawer from falling out. I can't see anyway to lift it, twist it, etc. out. I stayed home sick today, so I hope to examine it some more between bouts with the couch. Thanks for the well wishes too guys!
Last edited by DGPros on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fran604g wrote: Hiya fellas,

In regard to this being a "factory job", I'd have to wonder how a cabinet of this vintage would have survived the great fire in December, 1914, when so little else had not been destroyed.

Happy Holidays!

Fran
Fran, there are a number of instances cited in Frow where quantities of cabinets remained after the fire (for instance, the Amberola VI cabinets which were then equipped with the new 50 mechanism). I wonder if some cabinets might have been stored off-site in nearby warehouses. Further evidence of surviving cabinets can be seen on page 224 of Discovering Antique Phonographs, where Thomas Edison's personal phonograph is shown in a full-page image. It consists of a Herzog-built Amberola 1A cabinet of 1909/10 with a post-1915 Disc mechanism.

Happy Holidays to all!

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:
fran604g wrote: Hiya fellas,

Happy Holidays!

Fran
Fran, there are a number of instances cited in Frow where quantities of cabinets remained after the fire (for instance, the Amberola VI cabinets which were then equipped with the new 50 mechanism). I wonder if some cabinets might have been stored off-site in nearby warehouses. Further evidence of surviving cabinets can be seen on page 224 of Discovering Antique Phonographs, where Thomas Edison's personal phonograph is shown in a full-page image. It consists of a Herzog-built Amberola 1A cabinet of 1909/10 with a post-1915 Disc mechanism.

Happy Holidays to all!

George P.
A very good explanation, thank you, George! :)

Happy Holidays!

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

If you want to put it back to an Amberola...I have a complete A1 motor that may be of interest to you.

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

I have another suggestion on this machine concerning the lid. An early Pooley cabinet would not have an Edison script decal, which has been pointed out. I suggest that a B-250 lid was married to that early cabinet. That would at least explain the Edison script decal on the lid. Pictures of lid will tell the story. T

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

Hailey wrote:If you want to put it back to an Amberola...I have a complete A1 motor that may be of interest to you.
That has crossed my mind. After all, it looks like it did start its life that way
Last edited by DGPros on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

Here are a couple pictures of the top. There are matching #'s on the top and bottom by the lid hing. So I would safely assume these are original to each other. I did one pass of goop on the lid. Still no signs of an Amberola logo even under bright lights. It seems someone must have spilled some alcohol based substance since you can see the shellac has worn/evaporated away in some spots. It also looks like someone in the past had tried to clean it up and fix it with some kind of paint? The lid lift has been repositioned at some point. I don't know if all this is pertinent, but thinking someone may notice something I over looked.
Attachments
Re positioned lid screws
Re positioned lid screws
Paint cover up?
Paint cover up?
spill down cabinet
spill down cabinet
Missing shellac. Alcohol spill?
Missing shellac. Alcohol spill?
Here are the #'s side by side 467
Here are the #'s side by side 467
No ghosting, notice the 467 on the bottom of picture
No ghosting, notice the 467 on the bottom of picture
Frederic Bastiat