Edison B-250 in Amberola Cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Edison B-250 in Amberola Cabinet

Post by DGPros »

I don't have it in my possession, but should by the end of the work day tomorrow. There have been other threads on cabinets like this. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=6166 and http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=27117 From what I saw it looks like

a) standard single spring mechanism(on further inspection it's a double spring) with black bedplate
b) Amberola Phonograph marked data plate, serial number 4539 type sm model B250
c) mahogany. 4 cylinder drawers, the cut out for the Amberola lid and cabinet still in place, louvres, missing grill
d)It looks like the newer horizontal slide muff

I am still in the dark on any other variations but it feels like Christmas eve over here. Fran, I will give you any information you need as soon as I have a chance to check it out myself. I have been a bit under the weather so I had my friend pick it up. I don't know how I will be feeling after work tomorrow, so pictures may take till the weekend.One drawer is stuck closed. Who knows what may be inside, if anything. :D
Last edited by DGPros on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Edison B-250 in Amberola Cabinet

Post by marcapra »

I'm a bit confused here. It'a an Amberola A or B cabinet with a B-250 nameplate and a one spring DD motor? Does it have clips in the four drawers? Is the horn metal or fabric type?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Odd: one would suspect that there were plenty of Disc Phonograph cabinets by the time the B-250 was introduced.

And what would a 250 model be doing with a single spring motor?

Bill

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

DGPros wrote:b) Amberola Phonograph marked data plate, serial number 4539 type sm model B250
This seems very odd to me. The other two referenced postings had 'Edison Disc Phonograph' ID plates. If yours has an Amberola Phonograph ID plate with stamped information on it for a model B-250 that really seems irrational that the factory would stamp a Diamond Disc model and serial number on an Amberola ID plate. Seems like the factory would have (should have?) used an 'Edison Disc Phonograph' ID plate as with the other two referenced postings.

In any event, nice find and look forward to seeing the pictures.

Doug

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I look forward to your photos, and further info, and hope you feel better soon, Gary!

Happy Holidays!

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

She is safely sitting in pieces on my front porch waiting for it to air out.(tough ride home with that smell :shock: ). What I have ascertained is this is an Amberol 1 Pooley cabinet with the hooved feet. One has been badly damaged and poorly fixed. There are holes that I believe once housed an amberola mech., or maybe just set up to house one. Who knows. I have only taken a cursory once over. It's cold, I'm under the weather and I had to get it out of my truck. I did take some pictures, so I would love to hear some input, corrections and/or additions.
It does have the double spring, so my initial obscured view and friends opinion was initially incorrect. She does need some work, as she's missing some back door pieces, beaten up foot, and lid issues. Over all I do believe this can be a worthy project as the motor is still purring like a kitten. They are tough.

So it looks like an Amberola that was change over to a B250 standard DD.(look close at the name plate) Odd that the lid doesn't show signs of an emblem. Maybe after some cleaning.

P.S. Anyone know how to get the drawers out?
Attachments
467?
467?
2017-12-07 15.55.57.jpg
2017-12-07 15.40.41.jpg
There seems to be an #1 under the 2. Possibly changing a B1 to B250
There seems to be an #1 under the 2. Possibly changing a B1 to B250
Lid
Lid
Hoof/foot
Hoof/foot
Badly fixed hoof/foot
Badly fixed hoof/foot
4 cylinder drawers
4 cylinder drawers
All drawers have pin holes for cylinder holders
All drawers have pin holes for cylinder holders
Only #;s found and green felt 555 and a sideways 4
Only #;s found and green felt 555 and a sideways 4
C89448 I believe
C89448 I believe
Another plugged hole on adjacent side.
Another plugged hole on adjacent side.
Notice the filled holes to the left of the lid lift. The 2 other holes to the left of the bedplate bracket seem to be newer? Thought?
Notice the filled holes to the left of the lid lift. The 2 other holes to the left of the bedplate bracket seem to be newer? Thought?
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

Thanks for sharing! Obviously case has been altered to accommodate diamond disc motor. Who knows when, by whom. That aside, get well soon and thanks for comments on your photos. You're half way there with the mechanism running. I'm sure case will clean up well. Who knows what will be under that mummification repair. Look forward to more photos as your clean up progresses. It is an interesting machine and a great find! Steve Levi

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Thank you, Gary, for your photos.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the motor plate is of the manufactured type I've noted as being used for the late C 250, and then throughout the remainder of the Chippendale (C 19). Note the circular indentation, and small speed control knob. These features appeared on the C 250 around mid-1918.

Still, it's an interesting machine, and it would be great if there was some way for you to discover when the alterations were made.

Happy Holidays!

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I knew Fran would chime in on that motor plate. I was thinking the same thing: it's too late to be a B 250...or is it?

There are filled screw holes, a filled crank hole, and enough red flags to send most of us running the other direction. BUT... Look at that data plate. It looks like it was originally stamped "B1." The B1/1B Amberola used the 4-minute only mechanism that was introduced in August/September 1911 (also used in the Opera/Concert and the Amberola III). Yet, the cabinet is the earliest Pooley design dating from 1910. And the motor is no earlier than 1918. But again, look at the data plate. It was overstamped "250" over the original "1" of "B1." Now who would do that? Even more interesting: the serial number falls into the late B 250 block. A home handyman cobbling a machine together out of parts probably would have no idea about such things.

Call me crazy, but I'm wondering if this might be a cobbling together of old inventory at West Orange with a new motor to move it out the door. Without that data plate with its markings, I'd think differently, but...

I'm looking forward to more pictures! Is there really no decal inside the lid? How does the veneer look on the side with the crank where the hole was filled?

George P.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

I see nothing that even hints at an emblem on the lid. There is a lot of dirt, so who knows after a cleaning. Here is also the outside view. Not the best job, but maybe it's just from age that it's showing through now.
Attachments
2017-12-07 15.36.14.jpg
outside by crank
outside by crank
Frederic Bastiat