VV-IX questions and observations

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dale h
Victor O

VV-IX questions and observations

Post by dale h »

I bought a VV-IX for parts last year and recently found a similar machine which, when combined with the leftover parts from the first one, would make another complete machine, so I bought it, too. According to the serial numbers, the first is from 1914 and the second from 1915, but I realize that all of the parts may not be original in either machine. The cabinet is much better in the 1915, so that is what I will use.

In trying to combine the machines I have across some interesting differences. First, the cast iron horns are different. The 1914 version has a raised lip which forms a well under to motor. Seems like a good idea to catch grease dripping off the motor. The later horn doesn't have it.
DSC_0865.JPG
DSC_0867.JPG
The next picture shows one of the feet on the 1915 machine. The center is brass, but it appears there was a plastic or Bakelite element under the brass which has been broken away. Can anyone tell me (or show me) what the feet are supposed to look like? The earlier machine has a flat bottom - no legs - but has the same brass tacks and the came black element.
DSC_0869.JPG
Finally, the motor base on the 1915 machine has an extension under the speed control arm with two tapped screw holes in it but doesn't appear to serve a purpose. I am wondering if the base is from a different machine which had a different speed control. Does anyone recognize the base? The 1914 version is shown for comparison.
DSC_0875.JPG
DSC_0873.JPG
Thanks for any help.

Dale H

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: VV-IX questions and observations

Post by Jerry B. »

Victor was continually making changes and improvements to their machines. There is risk making a marriage of parts as you are discovering. Sometimes the marriage works and sometimes it doesn't.

Jerry B.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

As to the foot, the brass piece is simply a brass nail that had a rubber foot molded over it. You would have never seen the brass part when the rubber was intact.

Like this...
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (20.69 KiB) Viewed 460 times
The pad on the motor frame, with the 2 tapped holes, was to mount a speed indicator. Your version of the IX did not use this style indicator, therefore it went unused.

dale h
Victor O

Post by dale h »

That makes a lot of sense, Jerry. I couldn't figure out why anyone would put brass feet on the bottom of something that was intended to by placed on a table.

I checked the Victor/Victrola website and found the the "large glass" speed indicator was introduce in 1914, but only on the the higher priced models. They apparently redesigned the base at the same time to accommodate the indicator but since the IX wasn't a top of the line model the provisions for the indicator weren't used.

Right again.

Thanks

Dale H