Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Ad for the Vincennes Phonograph

Post by estott »

For some reason I can't copy this one:

http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channe ... d2a071.jpg

The Vincennes was a run of the mill Credenza Clone but from this ad you'd think it was at least as good as a Victor.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: Ad for the Vincennes Phonograph

Post by bbphonoguy »

Great ad! I love those colorful Art Deco graphics! I'm guessing this is one of those companies that went belly up in the Depression?

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

bbphonoguy wrote:Great ad! I love those colorful Art Deco graphics! I'm guessing this is one of those companies that went belly up in the Depression?
Judging from the number of surviving examples that I've encountered in Southern Indiana, I'd say they may have sold somewhere between none and one of them! I've never seen one before. We recently saw a Credenza-clone in a mall in Louisville but it was literally buried in junk so we couldn't even open the lid, but it very well may have been one of these.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

I've seen one but didn't hear it or examine it in detail. It appeared to be a decently built machine, about the quality of a late 20's Silvertone- attractive but below the Victor standards.

novkev24
Victor I

Post by novkev24 »

Nice picture. Here is a downloadable copy.
Attachments
OLD2A071.jpg
The purchase of a Genuine Victrola closes the Avenue of Future Regret.

- ANNOUNCEMENT The Victrola Shortage Today (New Castle News, Friday, December, 20, 1918)

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I found this ad recently.An Orthophonic knock-off.edisonplayer

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The line drawing of the smaller "Venetia" is so similar to the Victrola Consolette that I wonder whether Vincennes were buying obsolete cabinets from Victor.

There is a precedent for this in the UK. Redundant HMV Model XI cabinets were sold to the Vernon Lockwood Company of London, manufacturers of the Perophone. I saw one of these Perophones in an antique shop in the 1970's but did not buy it. Only the woodworm holding hands prevented it's imminent collapse.

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

epigramophone wrote:The line drawing of the smaller "Venetia" is so similar to the Victrola Consolette that I wonder whether Vincennes were buying obsolete cabinets from Victor.

There is a precedent for this in the UK. Redundant HMV Model XI cabinets were sold to the Vernon Lockwood Company of London, manufacturers of the Perophone. I saw one of these Perophones in an antique shop in the 1970's but did not buy it. Only the woodworm holding hands prevented it's imminent collapse.
I would doubt it- I have never seen a Victor cabinet with anything but a Victor product in it. Even just before the introduction of the Orthophonic line they chose to deeply discount their soon to be obsolete models rather than modify them.

On the other hand, some Edison Disc cabinets WERE sold off to secondary makers.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

estott wrote:...
I would doubt it- I have never seen a Victor cabinet with anything but a Victor product in it. Even just before the introduction of the Orthophonic line they chose to deeply discount their soon to be obsolete models rather than modify them.
On the other hand, some Edison Disc cabinets WERE sold off to secondary makers.
Oddly enough, Victor did use up some older, pre-Orthophonic components by stuffing them into one of the Orthophonic model cabinets -- the Latin American export market version of the Consolette, the VV-4-1:

http://www.victor-victrola.com/4-1.htm

I guess the logic was, "they don't have ears down there." :roll:

I've only spotted one so far. It was for sale on craigslist about 15 years ago. Unlike the description on the Victrola page, this one was also equipped with a louvered, old style horn, along with the "fat" tonearm and #2 sound box.

OF

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

That's interesting, I have never heard of that brand. Being from Indiana, its interesting to see some machines that were either made or marketed by Indiana companies. I have always heard of Starr, but never Vincennes. I am wondering if they made very many machines?