WWII-Era Records on 1920's Player?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SwissWiss
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Gramophone Disc Jockey

WWII-Era Records on 1920's Player?

Post by SwissWiss »

I need some assistance...
I found some older records today in a thrift shop. I bought them because I really like the albums. However, I don't know if I'll be able to use them with my Brunswick 110. The 110 was made sometime in the early 1920s. The two albums I purchased are both 12" Shellac 78RPM sets. One set is a Victor Red Seal from 1939 and the other is a Columbia Masterworks from 1945. Do you know if I'm able to play these on my Brunswick 110? I wasn't sure because of the weight of the tone arm, and how that changed in the advent of electric phonographs. I'd like to play the albums, but I don't want to destroy them. Do you have any advice or suggestions?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: WWII-Era Records on 1920's Player?

Post by JerryVan »

Use a new needle and give one of them a try., You'll see right away if the grooves appear "different" after the needle passes that segment of the record. Black dust on the needle after playing for a bit is also a bad sign. Even if the record shows no damage, your reproducer may not handle the volume and frequency range of the later recordings and may blast or sound distorted.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

You're correct about the weight of the tonearm. Records from this era were designed to be played on electrically amplified models equipped with lighter weight tonearms, although wind-up all acoustic portables were still sold--well into the early 1950s (in the US), and even later, overseas.

I'd like to add that it's probably a good idea NOT to play them if the reproducer on your machine is in as-found condition, with the mica diaphragm suspended between rock-hard gasket. If it's been overhauled with fresh, soft gaskets and adjusted properly, then you could try a test record.

If you have some, try the soft tone needles first. (They're the skinny kind.)

In case you need it, there's a Brunswick Ultona manual here -- http://www.nipperhead.com/old/brult.htm (Click on the thumbnail images to make them full size for viewing or printing.)

OrthoFan

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

I have a Brunswick Cortez and I play all eras of 78s on it and they all sound good. Sometimes it helps to use a soft tone needle. Shellac is shellac. I've never experienced any damaged records from playing them on my Cortez. I wouldn't play vinyl MGM records though.

That said, cracked records shouldn't be played on acoustic phonographs. It isn't good for either the record or the phonograph.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I have played WWII records through the early 50's on my Victor V. I always use a new needle per side. I never saw or heard any problems. I used an Exhibition reproducer, too.
Harvey Kravitz

SwissWiss
Victor Jr

Post by SwissWiss »

I appreciate all the feedback. Very helpful.
Although, a bit of varying degree on the answer. Some say yes, some say no, some say it depends on the reproducer.
To the best of my knowledge, my Brunswick still has all the original parts, including the reproducer.
It currently sounds like more "go" than "no go."
Here's an image of the reproducer. I know little about these. How's she look?
Attachments
IMG_0848.JPG

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

With new gaskets she'll sing way sweeter.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I found some older records today in a thrift shop. I bought them because I really like the albums.
When you said that you bought them because you really like the albums, I thought you meant that you really liked the pictures on the album covers! I know I am being a little pedantic here, but records are not really "albums", although many people call them that. Records are called records, or discs, and albums are the multi-sleeved books that you put the records in. Common mistake.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

SwissWiss wrote:.... I know little about these. How's she look?
Definitely, the gaskets need to be replaced! Frozen gaskets restrict the movement of the diaphragm and needle bar, and can cause wear to the record groove--no matter what type of records you play. They also have an adverse impact on the sound quality. As gramophone-georg notes, "she'll sing way sweeter," with new, soft gaskets. Once replaced, you'll hear more volume and the range will also be expanded.

OF

SwissWiss
Victor Jr

Post by SwissWiss »

OrthoFan wrote: Definitely, the gaskets need to be replaced!
gramophone-georg wrote: With new gaskets she'll sing way sweeter.
Do you guys have a trusted resource for new gaskets or even reproducer rebuilds on my Brunswick?