Which door is the right door and which is the left door?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Re: Which door is the right door and which is the left door?

Post by Django »

I hate to bring this back to life but it was bugging me a little and I think that the reason for it's ambiguity is because things do not have a left of right side. In drafting it is a right side view, not a right side. The side is generally an implied view rather than a physical part of the object. When we say an object's right side, that is generally from our normal perspective, so to make a long story over, my opinion is that a phonograph has a front, back, top and bottom and a side to the right and a side to the left from the perspective of the person using the phonograph, but a phonograph does not truly have a left or right side because left and right are in this case direction.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Even more confusing... how did Edison decide which side of a Diamond Disc was the left or the right side?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

gramophone-georg wrote:Even more confusing... how did Edison decide which side of a Diamond Disc was the left or the right side?
At risk of having to go into hiding, my guess is that one of his machinists decided it and he took credit.
Last edited by Django on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Django wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Even more confusing... how did Edison decide which side of a Diamond Disc was the left or the right side?
At risk of having to go into hiding, my guess is that one of his machinists decided it an he took credit.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

What is the left and right side of a TV? What is the left side and right side of a picture?? What is the left and right side of a clock?? Is it when we face it. Two more cents plus two more cents worth added... :roll: :cry: :idea:

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

This "right" "left" controversy left me wondering who's right. By the time we know who's right, everyone else will have left. Am I right?

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

JerryVan wrote:This "right" "left" controversy left me wondering who's right. By the time we know who's right, everyone else will have left. Am I right?
Best response yet.

Any way, according to Merriam Webster:

a : of, relating to, situated on, or being the side of the body which is away from the side on which the heart is mostly located
b : located nearer to the right hand than to the left
c : located to the right of an observer facing the object specified or directed as the right arm would point when raised out to the side
d : located on the right of an observer facing in the same direction as the object specified stage right (2) : located on the right when facing downstream the right bank of a river
e : done with the right hand a right hook to the jaw

It still appears to me that an object does not have a right or left side. If we want to clearly define which side was are speaking of, right and left is not really adequate, but most would probably guess correctly.