Making a fiber recording/playback horn, in my spare time

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Making a fiber recording/playback horn, in my spare time

Post by MicaMonster »

....and did I mention, at my work desk? I have a project tinfoil machine that I will soon be recording with, long story, but I want to get the best recording modulation I can. I have observed our own René, and others using a small recording/playback horn with their tinfoil phonographs for improved volume. I didn’t want to go to Lowes or Home Depot to seek out an oil funnel.....so I decided to make something myself, trying to keep the process somewhat era inspired. I measured out conic sections on black poster board, and made two identical cones. Because poster board is not the strongest material, I decided to make it 2-ply, reinforcing it with glue, cotton tape, and lacquer. I tacked the first cone together with fish glue (made from cod skins) and tacked it together with masking tape until the glue was tacky enough to hold the first horn together. Then, wearing a latex glove, I smeared the inside of the first horn with fish glue, and inserted the 2nd conic section, loose, allowing it to expand and fit the radius naturally of the 1st horn. Pressing it and repositioning it while drying, I applied some cotton tape along the top edge, bottom edge, and along the main seam on the side. It will dry overnight for strength. The plan tomorrow is to spray it with black lacquer, then a single shot of satin or low gloss lacquer clear coat. This will absorb into the paper fiber, and make it even stronger.

I found someone out west on eBay of all places, that has a 4.5” wide roll of thicker aluminum foil....possibly tin foil....he didn’t really know, and I couldn’t really gauge from the photos.....but it is thicker than standard over-the-counter kitchen foil. Before I start searching for a manufacturer on Alibaba, I need to become less green to the methods for recording on tinfoil. If successful I will put my results on Youtube, but thought it would be good to share the steps in how I made a recording horn.
Attachments
2D6E360F-6708-4C44-BD29-831A63EF9B15.jpeg
24060E65-A86C-404D-B3AB-D183A449028A.jpeg
BD30ED9D-9934-4204-823A-C76C16CBD555.jpeg
20D8654A-4651-4518-B139-F59148E06EBB.jpeg
FF122C73-DE1A-496B-83AD-1492AEABA828.jpeg
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

MicaMonster
Victor III

Re: Making a fiber recording/playback horn, in my spare time

Post by MicaMonster »

After a spray of black lacquer! I’m tempted now to put it on one of my turntables and hit it with a gold paint brush to put a gold band about ⅔ of the way down!!!
Attachments
BDB818AA-A91F-4571-9F0E-F84C0EF31652.jpeg
F700276C-0C53-41C6-82AC-5E8A1BDF7B01.jpeg

MicaMonster
Victor III

Post by MicaMonster »

And here we are! Horn #1 by the “Markus Durable Fiber Horn Co., Ltd.”. :lol:
Attachments
99BB404B-7C7C-4C6E-8BFF-E8204FBFD426.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Spiffy!

Wyatt,

There are a number of youtube videos concerning tin foil recordings. You probably knew that. Anyway, one of the posters has settled on an adhesive backed aluminum foil, used in the HVAC industry, that adheres well, but not too well, to the mandrel and produces a very good recording medium. I bought a roll, but have some small issues with my reproduction Edison Parlor style machine to overcome first. Just wondered if you've heard of this.