Replacing an ID tag

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Replacing an ID tag

Post by phonogfp »

martinola wrote:From first hand experience, that kind of thing can really mess up somebody trying to study the machines down the road. (Also, if you were a buyer down the road, wouldn't you want to know that the original serial number was missing?) That said, I'd probably do my best to match up a close numbered plate, but I'd make a note of what I did and keep it inside the case. If you do that, Nut cases like me will thank you in future years. ;)

Martin
I agree wholeheartedly with Martin. Sure, Victrola Xs are not high-cost items today, but who knows what might happen in the future? In 30 years if one of every 100 citizens of China or India decides to obtain a genuine Victrola, there wouldn't be enough to go around. In any event, why put the wrong data plate on a machine if an appropriate plate can be obtained?

I have a data plate for a X A, No.440732. Check your Victor Data Book, and if that serial number falls within the range of your X, it's yours - including postage.

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Curt A wrote:Take any machine you have in your possession and tell me that you know and can prove without a doubt that the tag on your machine is the one that was put on at the factory...
Curt, in the case of post 1901 Edison Standards, it's rather easy as the Edison company put serial numbers in the bedplate both below the patent plate and on the other side of the bedplate hidden by wax under the motor. :mrgreen:

Sure, in most cases we can't prove a machine left the factory with certain configurations, but why intentionally muddy the water? We are caretakers, or at least should be.

Regards,
Martin

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

martinola wrote:
Curt A wrote:Take any machine you have in your possession and tell me that you know and can prove without a doubt that the tag on your machine is the one that was put on at the factory...
Curt, in the case of post 1901 Edison Standards, it's rather easy as the Edison company put serial numbers in the bedplate both below the patent plate and on the other side of the bedplate hidden by wax under the motor. :mrgreen:

Sure, in most cases we can't prove a machine left the factory with certain configurations, but why intentionally muddy the water? We are caretakers, or at least should be.

Regards,
Martin
I totally agree...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

phonogfp wrote:
martinola wrote:From first hand experience, that kind of thing can really mess up somebody trying to study the machines down the road. (Also, if you were a buyer down the road, wouldn't you want to know that the original serial number was missing?) That said, I'd probably do my best to match up a close numbered plate, but I'd make a note of what I did and keep it inside the case. If you do that, Nut cases like me will thank you in future years. ;)

Martin
I agree wholeheartedly with Martin. Sure, Victrola Xs are not high-cost items today, but who knows what might happen in the future? In 30 years if one of every 100 citizens of China or India decides to obtain a genuine Victrola, there wouldn't be enough to go around. In any event, why put the wrong data plate on a machine if an appropriate plate can be obtained?

I have a data plate for a X A, No.440732. Check your Victor Data Book, and if that serial number falls within the range of your X, it's yours - including postage.

George P.
That's very generous of you! I'm getting it today, so I'll do my best to date it using the victor-victrola site. Does anyone know how to differentiate the "A" suffix motor vs before?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

GregVTLA wrote:I'm getting it today, so I'll do my best to date it using the victor-victrola site. Does anyone know how to differentiate the "A" suffix motor vs before?
See what you come up with on the Victor-Victrola site. Then, if necessary, take a photo of the motor and another photo of the playing compartment minus the turntable. Post them here; they should provide enough clues for us to figure out which variation it is.

George P.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Also, if the patent license sticker has a legible date, be sure to include that infomation as well. The sticker might be on the upper back panel, the bottom or inside the record storage section of the machine.

Jim

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Well, good news everyone! The original plate is actually there! The picture I saw of it prior to picking it up looked like a pile of dust in place of the plate, but in reality it was a badly oxidized plate! Thanks to everyone who was willing to help replace it. This is a great community indeed!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

GregVTLA wrote:Well, good news everyone! The original plate is actually there! The picture I saw of it prior to picking it up looked like a pile of dust in place of the plate, but in reality it was a badly oxidized plate! Thanks to everyone who was willing to help replace it. This is a great community indeed!
Are you telling me that after all the Sturm und Drang you put us through you had the plate all along??? Why, I oughtta... :evil: ;)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

gramophone-georg wrote:
GregVTLA wrote:Well, good news everyone! The original plate is actually there! The picture I saw of it prior to picking it up looked like a pile of dust in place of the plate, but in reality it was a badly oxidized plate! Thanks to everyone who was willing to help replace it. This is a great community indeed!
Are you telling me that after all the Sturm und Drang you put us through you had the plate all along??? Why, I oughtta... :evil: ;)
:lol: The original image was really bad, and it seriously looked like the plate was gone. Good thing it was there!

New Yorker
Victor Jr

Post by New Yorker »

gramophone-georg wrote:
LOL. Not to hijack this thread, but actually, because of it, I will be writing a little note with all pertinent info about my machine and will put it inside for future victrolaphiles.