How to rebuild a Zonophone V Concert Reproducer?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Re: How to rebuild a Zonophone V Concert Reproducer?

Post by jboger »

Brad: Honestly, I'm not sure what to do. When in this state, I find it best to leave things alone until I figure it out. One scenario is to bag this item as it is and keep it with the machine.

Here's a question: is that retaining ring one piece or two? Along with a rubber gasket, is there only one metal ring holding the mica in place? If so, I'd sure like to come in from the back. I think that's what you mean by having an L-shaped bar that could be inserted from the back. Maybe I could make an L-bar, clamp the entire reproducer in a vise (like Riess recommends for a Concert reproducer), and gently tap the L-bar around the backside of the retaining ring. This needs to be thought through.

But let me back up. Is there only one ring that holds the mica in place, not counting any gasket?

John

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

PM sent

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Question about the needle bar. If you look at the photo, you will see a red oval drawn around part of the needle bar that looks like a pair of old spectacles. This part is loose. Should it be? Two screws go through the two holes of this part to attach the needle bar to the soundbox. Should the "spectacles" be firmly attached to the needle bar?
Attachments
DSCF1590.jpg
DSCF1590.jpg (100.69 KiB) Viewed 861 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

jboger wrote:Question about the needle bar. If you look at the photo, you will see a red oval drawn around part of the needle bar that looks like a pair of old spectacles. This part is loose. Should it be? Two screws go through the two holes of this part to attach the needle bar to the soundbox. Should the "spectacles" be firmly attached to the needle bar?
The "spectacles" slide down to the base of the needle bar, and once screwed to the body of the sound box, they will serve to position the needle bar and allow it to pivot in response to the record groove. You don't want the "spectacles" to be so tight on the needle bar that it clamps it rigidly. Nor do you want it so loose that the needle bar buzzes within the "spectacles." A delicate friction fit is ideal.

George P.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

George P.: That's exactly what I wanted/needed to know. I was prepared to glue it on with some water soluble glue so that if necessary I could take it apart. I will not do that now.

John

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Well, you can always apply a drop or two of glue later on if my advice turns out to be baloney. :)

Good luck!

George P.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

OK, after about two weeks of deliberation, I decided on a path forward. I decided not to risk any damage to the V-Concert by removing the front retaining ring that holds the mica diaphragm in place. This meant I had to patch the existing diaphragm. I did this by knocking out some circular pieces of mica and adhering them into place with shellac. I took a needle file to make a center hole in my patch. By this time I had straightened out the needle bar, and so I reassembled everything. I played several records and the sound was very, very good, much better than when the soundbox had that awful pink crap someone had applied years ago.

Everything I did is reversible. Maybe some day I will feel bold enough to attempt removing that retaining ring and putting in a brand new piece of mica. But until that day, this repair is exceeding my expectations.
Attachments
DSCF1595.jpg
DSCF1595.jpg (62.28 KiB) Viewed 834 times
DSCF1593.jpg
DSCF1593.jpg (83.58 KiB) Viewed 834 times