How to rebuild a Zonophone V Concert Reproducer?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

How to rebuild a Zonophone V Concert Reproducer?

Post by jboger »

I've done a search through the back pages of the Forum for information on how to rebuild a V Concert reproducer but did not find what I was looking for. What I have is NOT the long neck reproducer for front-mount machines, but the V Concert for a rear-mount machine. It is attached to the tonearm with two bolts. I do not want to take anything apart unless I have a better idea wrt what's involved. Are there any step-by-step instructions anywhere on how to do this?

I've rebuilt the Exhibition reproducer many times. Easy to do. One removes the back flange and inserts the gaskets into the front flange from the reverse. Then you put the back flange on and screw it down. Is the rear-mount V Concert the same thing, i.e., you insert the gaskets from the rear?. How does the needle bar make contact with the mica diaphragm. I'm sure there's no little screw there as on the Exhibition. Is the tip of the needle bar soldered on as is the case with a Victor Concert? These are the sorts of questions I'd like to have answers to before proceeding.

Thanks.
Last edited by jboger on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outune
Victor IV

Re: How to rebuild a Zonophone V Concert Reproducer?

Post by outune »

PM sent

Brad Abell

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Pictures.

Hope this isn't a cut-down long neck. If so, it's been there a long, long time.
Attachments
DSCF1559.jpg
DSCF1559.jpg (67.68 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
DSCF1561.jpg
DSCF1561.jpg (54.24 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
DSCF1562.jpg
DSCF1562.jpg (63.69 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
DSCF1563.jpg
DSCF1563.jpg (59.09 KiB) Viewed 1932 times

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Here's another pic. I removed the two screws in the back. The flange is stuck on the rubber gaskets. First rule: never force anything. However, there are two neatly tapped holes where the screws go.
Attachments
DSCF1568.jpg
DSCF1568.jpg (80.15 KiB) Viewed 1928 times

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks for the pics--- I'm not a Zonophone expert by any means, but have had several front and rear mount machines. I've not seen a Concert V set up for a rear mount machine-- I'm wondering if the long-throat tube was removed and holes drilled and tapped at some point. We need Jeff Young or George Paul to weigh-in on this! :)

Brad Abell

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

That flange to which the reproducer is attached is an original part of the tonearm; it's all one piece. If this is not the proper one, what reproducer would be and would it be attached in the same manner with the same two screws? That is, if I were to find the correct reproducer for this Zonophone, would it be attached in the same manner? The machine is a Concert with a metal bedplate.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I have a couple of rear mount Zonophones and they both have the same tonearm connector. Mine have the Zonophone branded Exhibition style reproducer. There is only a thin flat rubber disc gasket between the tonearm and the reproducer. Mine were also hardened and stuck together. I think I used something like a putty knife to get them apart. You can find thin rubber washers of the exact size in a good hardware store.

After Victor took ownership of Universal Talking Machine in 1903 the machines started to use more and more Victor parts. It could very well be that your machine is from that transition period and continued to use the Zonophone V-Concert reproducer in a rear mount version - much like Victor made a rear mnount Concert reproducer as well. The fact that the tonearm and reproducer are stuck together with the old hardened gasket speaks for that theory. I would just carefully separate the reproducer from the tonearm, service it and then connect it using a new rubber gasket. Having this reproducer makes your machine special.

Andreas

vic-b
Victor I

Post by vic-b »

The reproducer is correct. I have a Zonophone Parlor with a Concert-V reproducer attached to the tapered tone arm.

Restoration is another issue:
1.) Looks like your needle bar is broken where it would have contacted the diaphragm. Someone has just used what looks to be some kind of glue/cement to hold it in contact with the diaphragm. These actually do have small screws like the Victor Exhibitions. You can remove this by removing the two screws that anchor it. The needle bar is very fragile, and it is easy to break the small cross bars.
2.) No one makes diaphragms this size. I use Victor Exhibition diaphragms and trim them to size. This is very difficult, because the scissors, regardless of how sharp, creates a shear force on the mica, and it tends to want to separate into sheets where you cut.
3.) To replace the gaskets and the mica, you have to pry out the locking ring that you see in the front. They are often rusted, and hard to budge. You can try liquid wrench. You have to be able to hold the reproducer in a chuck, or vice without damaging it to get the leverage you need.
4.) The gaskets are not the round, white type as the Victor. They are flat. You can find something that will work at an old fashioned hard ware store that still sells things by the piece. Sometimes you have to get them bigger than what you want, and then cut a small portion out of them without making them kink.
5.) If your needle bar is broken, as I anticipate, this is a problem. No one make reproductions anymore. Those of us that still have 1 or 2 guard them like they were gold! They used to be made by Mirek Stehlic from Canada.

In all honesty, unless you want to play the machine, you may want to just leave well enough alone. The other option would be to keep your eyes peeled on ebay for a Exhibition style Zonophone reproducer with the red lettering. They sound better anyway!

Merry Christmas!
Jeff
Wisconsin

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks Jeff-- I knew you would be the one that could solve the mystery- I've learned something new today!! Can I go back to bed now? :)

Brad Abell

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

vic-b wrote:The reproducer is correct. I have a Zonophone Parlor with a Concert-V reproducer attached to the tapered tone arm.

Isn't a Zonophone Parlor a front mount machine? Mine is.