SILENT GROOVES

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrola20
Victor O
Personal Text: If you can see the floor there is always room for more

SILENT GROOVES

Post by Victrola20 »

Silent Grooves: It is with great sadness and sorrow that I am announcing the passing of one of our great icons in the phonograph collecting world. This last Saturday Steve (Farmerized) Farmer passed away. I am sure that all in the hobby have heard of him and those that have been in the hobby for anytime at all are aware of his unsurpassed and wonderful restoration and phono repair service he has provided to everyone in the hobby for years. Steve was a wonderful mountain of a man with a smile, kind word, joke and phono advice for everyone. He loved the Phonograph Hobby, his country, his constitutional right to bear arms and of course his lovely wife, Judy. He was a wonderful person and will be missed by all who knew him.
Steve was a world-renowned restorer unsurpassed in his ability to repair, rebuild, restore or preserve your treasured phonograph. When no one else could repair something, we could always go to Steve and get it expertly repaired. Because of the volume and difficulty of the work often times it took longer than we would like, but the results were always spectacular. The phonograph collecting world will sorely miss his personality, expertise and friendship. Without him there would be many, many coin-op machines that would still be in a garage or barn missing mechanisms and getting rusty.
Our sympathy and condolences are with his wife Judy, family and friends. Steve and Judy spent most of their lives together having grown up together, attended High School together and completed their professional working careers while living primarily in Southern California. In recent years they relocated to Southern Oregon in retirement where Steve continued in providing his services to those in need of expert restoration services or just plain information on a rare machine.
The family is undecided if they are going to have a memorial service, but if you would like to send condolence cards you may do so to: Judy Farmer at: 320 Woodlake Drive, Grants Pass, Oregon 97527. If you feel like you need to make a donation in his honor, please donate to the Charity of your choice.
PS: For those of you that have machines in for repair or restoration you can be assured that they will be protected until arrangements are made for you to have them picked up, please do not contact Judy for at least a couple of weeks. In addition Steve & Judy have a modestly small but quality collection and Judy has not decided what she’ll do about them; but, she loves them and she will not be selling any phonographs at this time so please don’t ask.
Brice

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: SILENT GROOVES

Post by phonogfp »

This is terrible news. Steve was a great guy and a real asset to our hobby.

RIP, my friend.

George P.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

This is horrible news. :( Steve was an artist, capable of taking machines that might look like they were overdue for the scrap pile and turning them into masterpieces. He was a brilliant restorer who knew just how far to go to bring a machine back to perfection while always avoiding over-restoring a machine. I have several phonographs in my collection which have benefited from his skills.

He was also a lot of fun to talk to. I enjoyed our conversations at the APS show when he was still living in Southern California, and later over the phone when he moved to Oregon.

I will really miss him.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I knew Steve for many years. He was a true friend. Back in 2010, he did a total restoration of my Edison Idealia. It took about a year, but was well worth it, considering all the work that was done. It was a total basket case when he got it. The restoration is superb. No small detail was overlooked. His careful attention to detail and meticulous craftsmanship really made my machine very special. This machine will always have a special place in my heart. His memory will live on with my machine. Every time I look at and play my machine, I will always think of Steve. RIP, Steve, you will surely be missed.
Harvey Kravitz

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I am so sad to read your post Brice. Steve was wonderful for our hobby. His restorations were unsurpassed and he will be missed. I would be happy to help bring any projects to Union or APS. Just send a PM.

Jerry Blais

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Sad news indeed. Steve and his wife Judy were very nice people and Steve was such a big part of the phonograph restoration world. I cannot imagine him not being around. My best to his wife and R.I.P. Steve! My heart breaks just a bit at the news.

The OTAPS group enjoyed a meeting at their home and we have visited with them at several other meetings when in Southern Oregon. Always a cheery, shy smile from Steve and a big warm greeting from Judy. Another loss for OTAPS this year. It has been a rough couple of years for us out here!

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Sorry to hear the news. I never met Steve but have always heard nothing but the utmost respect for his talents in restoring high end and some very challenging machines. I have an example of his work in my collection. He restored a mahogany Regina Hexaphone model 104 many years ago for a collector from Arizona. I was very fortunate to get it at a Stanton auction a few years ago when that collector downsized. I was also able to get some pictures from the consignor of the condition of how they found it. There were no small details missed in Steve's meticulous restoration and is one of my favorite machines in my collection. Steve's talents and support for this great hobby will be truly missed.

RIP Mr. Farmer

Ken Brekke
Attachments
DSCN0644.JPG
DSCN0645.JPG
DSCN0646.JPG

clarphon
Victor I

Post by clarphon »

Steve was a great phonograph colleague and friend. The work he did for me was flawless and detailed. The Oregon Territory Antique Phonograph Society (OTAPS) had several meetings in his home and he showed us his wonderful work space where many of our treasures came to life. We are all sad with his passing and send our best thoughts and prayers to his wife, Judy and his family and friends. We miss you, Steve.

Stan Stanford
Attachments
Farmer.jpg
Farmer.jpg (28.63 KiB) Viewed 1393 times

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I had heard he was not doing so well. So sorry to hear about his passing. R.i.p. Steve.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Prayers for his soul...

And appreciation for his art. Rebuilds like this are no less than art.