I need help with a machine decision...which one?!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: I need help with a machine decision...which one?!

Post by gramophone-georg »

I'm trying to figure out what the "decision" is. :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Instead of buying either of those machines, I think you might be happier with an Edison Diamond Disc machine, perhaps a William and Mary console WMC-33, or a Hepplewhite H-19, or maybe a Columbia Viva Tonal 810 for 78s. The fact that I have those machines for sale has no bearing on my advice. Marc.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Phonofreak wrote:i'm a little late chiming in. Get the L-Door. This is an interesting variation, a late one. This one has the tab brake and the automatic stop. This variation was made a short time, before the more conventional VV XVI's came out. Most L-Doors have the bullet brake, but not many with the tab brake. These albums might be correct, because this is a late one.
Harvey Kravitz

Thanks for the info! I saw that tab and thought it was an auto brake like I've seen on a Columbia before, not sure how they operate but I'm guessing you set it where the tab on the tone arm will trip it at the end of the record. Had no idea it wasn't common to the machine however. Very cool. I can't wait to get it.
J.F.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Phonofreak wrote:i'm a little late chiming in. Get the L-Door. This is an interesting variation, a late one. This one has the tab brake and the automatic stop. This variation was made a short time, before the more conventional VV XVI's came out. Most L-Doors have the bullet brake, but not many with the tab brake. These albums might be correct, because this is a late one.
Harvey Kravitz
Just the same as mine! (Alas, no albums)...

Bill

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

marcapra wrote:Instead of buying either of those machines, I think you might be happier with an Edison Diamond Disc machine, perhaps a William and Mary console WMC-33, or a Hepplewhite H-19, or maybe a Columbia Viva Tonal 810 for 78s. The fact that I have those machines for sale has no bearing on my advice. Marc.

Oh I already have plenty of Edison machines including DD. Lol
J.F.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

EdisonWizard wrote:
marcapra wrote:Instead of buying either of those machines, I think you might be happier with an Edison Diamond Disc machine, perhaps a William and Mary console WMC-33, or a Hepplewhite H-19, or maybe a Columbia Viva Tonal 810 for 78s. The fact that I have those machines for sale has no bearing on my advice. Marc.

Oh I already have plenty of Edison machines including DD. Lol
I agree with Marc, except for the Viva Tonal. :lol:

Merry Christmas!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I have to agree with Valecnik. I can't imagine my wife (or my children or grandchildren for that matter) ever even considering buying me anything related to a talking machine.

Happy Holidays!

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

De Soto Frank wrote:I have a 1909 L-door, and while the horn is small, the sound quality isn't as bad as many comments were leading me to believe.
I'm with Frank here...my VTLA sounds just as good as my XIV or any outside horn Victor, quality wise. Small horn does not equal poor reproduction. It may be slightly quieter, but that can often be a virtue. Go for the L door.

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Post by Canuk Phonographs »

"L Door" and see if he can throw in the little nipper under the schoolhouse. I like that too.
Blain'

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

You will need to rebuild the Exhibition reproducer on the "L" door. That will improve the sound a great deal, and will also be more gentle on the records.