Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

One time I took a replica from about the 1980s or '90s and tried to make it look as original as possible. It got a new finish, black lacquered horn, sawed-off crank to make its Garrard No. 30 motor less obvious, and the castings in the back bracket filled with plaster and lacquered black. It actually looked quite nice when I was finished.

However, the pressed-tin soundbox was terrible. There was no needle compliance and my 1914 Victrola could run circles around it with the old-time Exhibition reproducer. Actually, even Edison cylinders on my unrebuilt Amberola sounded better--so I sold it to a guy who wanted it for decoration.

Yours is pretty neat. I like the case, and the soundbox is really a cut above with the extra bearings.

This is a good platform for customizations.

oldstuff
Victor Jr

Post by oldstuff »

Phonofreak wrote:I would look at the kind intentions that your friend took to give you this phonograph. Eventually, you will find a motor or swap one, but you would have to plug and veneer over the holes. I would get that machine working and show it to your friend. I would play some records on it and let them know this is a memento of the friendship.
Harvey Kravitz
You may have missed it in my long post, but I have substituted a working Garrard motor that I had. All but one of the new holes is hidden under the platter anyway.

I plan on having them over for a nice red wine or two while we listen to it play.

oldstuff
Victor Jr

Post by oldstuff »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:One time I took a replica from about the 1980s or '90s and tried to make it look as original as possible. It got a new finish, black lacquered horn, sawed-off crank to make its Garrard No. 30 motor less obvious, and the castings in the back bracket filled with plaster and lacquered black. It actually looked quite nice when I was finished.

However, the pressed-tin soundbox was terrible. There was no needle compliance and my 1914 Victrola could run circles around it with the old-time Exhibition reproducer. Actually, even Edison cylinders on my unrebuilt Amberola sounded better--so I sold it to a guy who wanted it for decoration.

Yours is pretty neat. I like the case, and the soundbox is really a cut above with the extra bearings.

This is a good platform for customizations.
I think the soundbox will probably need new rubber. I am exploring that in another post - I have 3 to choose from. The thin horn is not contributing to the sound well either. Maybe a nice thick coat of paint will help it's sound, and it will certainly make it look better

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I guess I fell asleep. Sorry about that.
Harvey Kravitz
oldstuff wrote:
Phonofreak wrote:I would look at the kind intentions that your friend took to give you this phonograph. Eventually, you will find a motor or swap one, but you would have to plug and veneer over the holes. I would get that machine working and show it to your friend. I would play some records on it and let them know this is a memento of the friendship.
Harvey Kravitz
You may have missed it in my long post, but I have substituted a working Garrard motor that I had. All but one of the new holes is hidden under the platter anyway.

I plan on having them over for a nice red wine or two while we listen to it play.